How do I improve my air consumption?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guys, thanks for the help so far. however, most of the things you've asked about are all things I've tried.
--My buoyancy was great--even had a DM watch me down there. I think I pushed the inflate button about four times total for all seven dives
--My exposure suit was 3mm for 80 degree water; no thermal problems (never once remember thinking that the water was even cool); as far as I remember, everyone had three or more mm suits on.
--filled the BC with air from the oral inflate before I jumped off the boat, in order to float to the down line.
--used descent/anchor line to to get to the bottom (no kicking at all).
--Tried regular kicks and dolphin kicks on the bottom.
--Stayed at 70-80 feet the whole time.
--checked my heart rate while kicking; was around 70-80

now you see why I'm frustrated?

I will say that it was only my third time diving in the gulf. however, I actually sat there and checked my vitals before I jumped, just to see if I was nervous--which would burn more air. Since they were WNL, how could i be more relaxed than flat out calm?

Aarrrgh!!! this is frustrating!

If you're not easily embarrassed, and you really want to improve your consumption, try some yoga breathing DVD's.

If anyone is really interested, reply back, and I'll post the title of the one I use.

It teaches two kinds of breathing, along with the required relaxation techniques to make full use of them.

One method involves inhaling in thirds, which gets you a deeper breath, and makes better use of the oxygen in each inhalation.
Method two involves training yourself to pause at the height of each inhalation. When you practice it awhile, it gets to the point where you can pause 2 or 3 seconds without thinking about it. You take less breaths, but get as much, or more oxygen into your tissues.

I go 6' 220lbs and am in good shape for a 37 year old (although I did smoke when I was younger). After a dive, I usually have more air left than almost anyone else on the boat. Except for my lady that is, she's fit and uses the same breathing exercises, but weighs half of what I do. She uses less air than anyone I've ever seen.

Good luck
Scott

Since you seem to be in great physical condition, I'm thinking that you may be using a lot of air because you are working too hard under water.

Obviously I have never seen you in the water, but it is common that many divers maintain their position in the water column by staying vertical and constantly kicking upwards at a steady pace, in a motion not unlike riding a bicycle. You say your buoyancy control is great, but can you hover in a horizontal position at the same depth indefinitely without moving your legs and arms? If so, my theory is wrong. If not, then maybe the reason for your higher air consumption is your body's need to metabolize oxygen to fuel your continuously working leg muscles.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned trim as being an issue. It is a totally different issue than bouyancy.

If you are trying to move forward and your body is perfectly horizontal, you will be pushing MUCH less water than if your body is less than horizontal. It sounds minor to some, but it makes a gigantic difference in the amount of energy you expend to move yourself around.

You can have the greatest BC in the world, practice breathing, and practice your kicks. But if your trim is not right, all the above is a waste for the most part.

Do this: Open the window of your car and go for a ride. When you get up to a decent speed, stick your hand out of the window like we did as kids and find the optimal trim where your hand meets the least resistance from the rushing air. This is how you want your body to look in the water.

If you can get this mastered, it is fun to do your safety stops in a mild current while off the upline while others are hanging on for dear life. You just "sit" there and give a kick every once in a while to stay near the group.

Try getting yourself in horizontal trim and I will almost guarantee that your air consumption drops substantially.

WJL-

Now that is way too funny!!

knobber once bubbled...
Ok, I'm beyond pi$$ed now. I work out cardio weekly like a freak--45 minutes of stairclimbing, usually burning around 1000-1100 calories. Two weeks before my trip, I started swimming in the pool with just my fins, back and forth along the bottom, holding my breath.
During the trip, I was averaging 80 feet, starting with 3000 lbs or 3100 in my tank. However, although I "appeared" to be the most fit in my group, I was only getting 24-27 minutes of total dive time out of my tank, surfacing with 500 lbs of air.
Everyone else, guys included, was getting 35-40 minutes of dive time. I wasn't even near the yellow of nitrogen saturation on my computer, while everyone else was at or near yellow.
What the hell? I'm 6'1", 205 lbs in great shape. I was not nervous, felt great, and tried as much as I can to breath slower and deeper. hell, I even tried different breathing methods all to no avail. What's going on?

How's your buoyancy control?

Conditions you dive in will have a big effect on your SAC without bringing anyone else into the equation.

In the UK with currents, 26lb of lead, 15l cylinder, drysuit etc my SAC is averaging around 18-19 SLM.

Abroad with just 6lb of weight and a 15l tank/wetsuit and no currents to speak of it averages 11-12 SLM.

Thats a difference of 27% for just me depending on my type of dives.

As others have mentioned, trim and buoyancy both have big impacts. If you have to perform a lot of effort to stay pointed in the same direction or stay in the same spot the SAC will be high.

Dont skip breathe. 4 in, 4 count then out is a general rule that i tend to use.

Are you too hot or cold in your exposure protection? Are you overweighted ?

Are you totally relaxed underwater - SAC drops for every diver as they gain experience, its not something learnt it just happens.

After all that as people have said, you may just have a fast metabolism and/or large lungs in which case its nature so not a lot you can do about it. Every person is different and its worthwhile remembering that before overdoing it regarding SAC reduction.

I do agree with Diverbouy on this one since his comments directly apply to me. I am 6'5" and go about 315lbs. Decent shape not great. Don't do cardio but do alot of weight training.

As many have told me, SAC rates will come down with attention to details and DIVING MORE. I have reduced my weighting by over 1/3 in the last 12 dives. I have a total of 61 dives to date. I typically get two trips a year and strictly dive tropical waters so I don't get more than 25 dives in annually. On my last trip to STX, I was down to 11 lbs in my BC using a microprene wetsuit. I have paid much closer attention to the decent as mentioned. The first few minutes can cost you a great deal of gas if you don't stay relaxed. Next time you dive check your gas just two minutes into the dive and you will be surprised how much you use if your not concentrating. The more diving you do you will see quick improvements. Or at least that has been the case with me.

Can someone please explain to me why large lungs are supposed to be bad? I have heard this several times and it doesn't make sense to me. If you inhale more air with each breath, you also get more O2 and can get rid of more CO2 with each breath. By the logic of big breaths = bad, shallow breathing would be superior to deep breathing, which clearly it is not.

Body mass is an entirely different matter. If you have to supply 250 lbs of tissue with O2, you will run through air more quickly than if you only weigh 150 lbs. Since big people tend to have big lungs, I think this might be the reason for the whole big lung problem / misconception.

What am I missing here?

-Klaus

I was also a very heavy air user. I'm 6'2", 215lb and was not lasting that long and coming back with 500lb. ScottyK, Karl_in_Calif and Detroit Diver all have good advice, things that I thought immediately when I read your question. The one thing I heard of was the yoga, but never tried it. Scott you'll be getting a message from me. I was able to reduce my weight be 1/3 which helped my buoyancy. As far as trim, either keep your arms folded across your chest, or streamlined straight down along your body line (I keep my fingers on the bottom of the tank). And the thing that worked, I think the best for me, was advice that I got from a dive boot operator in the Caymans, for the amount of time spent on inhaling, exhale for a few seconds longer (ex 7 in, 9 out). I started with this and I was staying down just as long as others, and coming back with 300 to 500 lbs more.

Everybody is different. Take all these ideas and try them and see what works better for you. Don't get frustrated to the point that you think your doing something wrong or that there is something wrong with you. This just might be the way your body works. Again, don't get frustrated, just enjoy the time your down.

Stay weel and dive safe.

Bill:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom