How do I go about becoming certified to service Scubapro regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jamiei

Reaction score
Want to know how I can learn to work on my reg (Scubapro). Also, by the way for anyone that has anything bad to say about me wanting to learn to service my own regs please don't waste your time. I have above average mechanical and spatial skills and I want to learn how to do it the right way even if I have to pay for the training. There's not a reg service guy out there that didn't start out just like me and there's nothing magical about being able to service them. No one has my best interests in mind more than I.

Jamie,

Here's one way to get some training (I hesitate to call it true certification).

If ScubaPro sends training reps to your town, ask your LDS whether they will sponser you into a training session. If you already have a good relationship with the LDS, great. If the LDS doesn't know you well, you might tell them you would be glad to take an "Equipment Specialty" course from them first (or some other course).

I am not familiar with ScubaPro training, but Genesis and Sherwood hold one day classes (8 to 5). You bring your own tank and common tools, and they provide the regs, specialty tools, and service manuals (which you get to keep).

If you haven't done so already, buy and read Vance Harlow's "Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair"

Good Luck!

All reg. manufactures have clinic or seminars to repair, but scubapro is the only one that gives a true certification. You need to find a lds that is s-pro and they will tell you when the next course is you will have to pay though $120+

I dont think you really have to go through the certification stuff just to service your reg. I bet you can service your own reg with just the service manual, some research and your technical know-how. However, you might encounter some difficulty in acquiring the specialty tools that SP uses on their regs. In this case having a specialty course on servcing SP regs will help, that is if it is available and if your LDS is willing to offer. They woulf likely offer the specialty tools.

I suggest you get a copy of Vance Harlow's Regulator Servicing book at Airspeed.com. Lots of info!

Try to go to Scubatools.com, lots of tools for different makes of regs!

If you still want to go through the SP reg service course, by all means go! :)

Find a ScubaPro shop to sponsor you. I think I paid about $120.00 for the class which ended up lasting 4 eight hour days. I did mine here in NC at Blue Stone with Bob Outlaw. This is the only place in the US that offers a "Professional Technicial Program". If you take it anywhere else, you only get a "Technical Education Program".

jamiei,

Sent you a PM

Stone once bubbled...
If you haven't done so already, buy and read Vance Harlow's "Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair"

Damn Right! :)

I'm always a bit bemused at how people feel they need "official" training for regs. I mean, can you imagine someone posting on a Corvette list "How can get certified by Chevy so I can work on my Vette?". No, they just buy a manual and start in, and if they can't read too good, find a buddy who knows how to do it and learn by doing. But divers are different - they seem to crave that stamp of legitimacy that they feel only a manufacturer's tech course can give them. Never mind that the course is only 1-3 hours long which just isn't long enough to give a good grounding in the subject, assumes a lot of prior knowledge, and only covers one or two models.

The other thing about tech courses is that you sit there pretending to rebuild a reg that has been apart a zillion times and everthing is only finger tight on. You don't have to deal with the really hard or tricky stuff - getting frozen parts loose, inspection, or tuning.

By all means take any manufacturer's tech clinics you can - I still do, whenever I get a chance. But don't lose sleep thinking that they are the only way you'll ever be able to work on your regs, or worse, fool yourself into thinking that getting a certificate from one will somehow magically guarantee that you are qualified and safe to do so.

And perhaps more to the point, don't think that taking an official course will allow able to buy parts. Most of the reg manufacturers say no - SP especially is very emphatic that SP regs must be serviced ONLY by a trained SP tech, working on the premises of an authorized SP shop.

Oh, and the more you learn BEFORE you take the course, the more you'll profit from it. The better the course is, the less it will be directed at complete beginners.

Back
Top Bottom