How do I get back up to speed after 35 years out of the loop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You've been diving already it sounds like, are you planning to dive more frequently locally?

If so, that's a good place to start your research.

As for gear, as @Eric Sedletzky mentioned, there's no reason you shouldn't dive the same gear you trained in (though finding good "vintage" gear is a bit more challenging).

You might want a computer though (not the Bend-O :wink:), if you plan on diving with others.

Welcome to Scuba Board MrMitch!
There are a lot of SB darlings you’ll hear about. And unless you want to generate a 5000 post thread about fins, don’t even mention split fins vs paddle fins.
This forum can get very technically oriented.
Then there are people here perfectly happy diving an old plastic backpack with a steel 72, no BC, no computer only tables, and an old restored double hose regulator.
Welcome to scubaboard!

I love your perspective Eric.
A lot of what you allude to is true of many forums. Some of the most active and well informed posters can also be overly opinionated. Bring 'em on!!! There's much to learn from people who look at things differently than I do.

I'm somewhere in the middle. The need to be well informed and equipped cannot be understated but I like my diving simple and fun. Tech sounds like too much work. Truth be told I love snorkeling more than scuba because of the freedom from baggage.

Thank you all once again for making me feel welcome here on scuba board.

are you planning to dive more frequently locally?
Nope. My passion is for tropical reefs and the astonishing creatures inhabiting them. I've done hour long night dives just exploring two or three pilings at Fredrickstead pier.
I'm also a big sissy when it comes to cold water.
I myself may be a relic but will not be looking for fossil gear. loved my Scubapro Mark V regulator but I'm sure there is something equally reliable and comfortable available now.

... I've done hour long night dives just exploring two or three pilings ...
:) You show great promise...
... I myself may be a relic but will not be looking for fossil gear. loved my Scubapro Mark V regulator but I'm sure there is something equally reliable and comfortable available now.
Oh! Oh! Let me be the first.

MK17 and G250's.

Next? :wink:

MK17 and G250's.

There you go again.......................

I've been living under a rock so long I don't even know what that means.
Searched it on these forums but got 6,247 contradicting hits.

maybe I'd better google it.

Welcome to Scuba Board MrMitch!
Either only a little has changed or a lot has changed depending on how you look at it and what type of diving you plan to do.
I have a feeling that once you get rolling again you’ll soon realize that you’ve probably forgotten more than some modern divers will ever know.

First, let’s start with your list of gear that you have from the old days?
There is an entire community here that still uses a lot of the gear you probably still have.
Old Scubapro Regs, jet fins, BFK’s, Steel 72’s, tables, all have a following here.
You’re going to get all sorts of suggestions here that you need a lot of modern stuff or else it will be impossible for you to dive safely.
Get ready to hear that you should get a BP/W because you might get into doubles someday and tech diving, and you should go sidemount because it’s the greatest thing since the invention of the Aqualung, and you slso need a $900 computer that does trimix because it’s the new SB darling. There are a lot of SB darlings you’ll hear about. And unless you want to generate a 5000 post thread about fins, don’t even mention split fins vs paddle fins.
This forum can get very technically oriented.
Then there are people here perfectly happy diving an old plastic backpack with a steel 72, no BC, no computer only tables, and an old restored double hose regulator.
Welcome to scubaboard!

This is beautifully accurate.

There you go again.......................

I've been living under a rock so long I don't even know what that means.

maybe I'd better google it.

Here's a random link to the reg referenced.

SCUBAPRO MK17 G250v buy and offers on Scubastore

Ha! Point taken.

OK, Cliff notes on ScubaPro. Primary reg (the one on your cylinder) MK17 is environmentally sealed for nasty environments and top notch for cold water. Works just fine in warm water too. MK25 is fabulous in warm water. MK25 has a swivel turret, MK17 doesn't. Swivel is nice for a single reg with a lot of hoses on it.

Secondary reg (the one in your mouth) G250(V) is a well-received 'throwback' to something that never needed improvements.

The most important thing in making your Scuba comeback is to have fun. Nothing else matters much. The gear has evolved, but it's not that different. Hard to find a j-valve anymore, but those SPGs have come down in price so we can afford one. I don't wear a red ribbon anymore now that we have PDCs. AT Packs come with bladders now. We don't have to keep on kicking on the surface. Diving is lots easier. Just don't forget to have fun... and post about it! :D :D :D

Nope. My passion is for tropical reefs and the astonishing creatures inhabiting them. I've done hour long night dives just exploring two or three pilings at Fredrickstead pier.
I'm also a big sissy when it comes to cold water.
I myself may be a relic but will not be looking for fossil gear. loved my Scubapro Mark V regulator but I'm sure there is something equally reliable and comfortable available now.
Actually MK5’s are really sought after here.
Many people prefer them over more modern SP pistons because if the simplicity and they are bulletproof.
I have one with set up with metal second stages (109’s)
There’s also contingent of divers here who swear by Aqualung Conshelfs for the same reason. I have one of those too.
The parts kits have not changed since 1967. Aqualung still uses that same parts kit in some of their brand new regs.
You could take that MK5 of yours into a shop and have it serviced, it will be like new. It worked great then, it will work great now. Instead, put your money towards a nice but appropriate computer for the type of diving you’ll be doing.
If you don’t want that old SP stuff, then I can bet someone here will.

I hope everyone got that I was kidding about this. Lots of praise on SB for the MK17 and G250, especially from the frostbitten crowd. I was surprised to learn it is a diaphragm first stage since I was one of the ones who drank the Scubapro piston cool aid. I sold a ton them just by saying "it's only got ONE moving part. A stainless steel piston!"

I do remember what a first and second stage are, but I really do not know what this means:
SPGs have come down in price so we can afford one. I don't wear a red ribbon anymore now that we have PDCs.
I do remember what an AT Pack is but never dove one 'cause I'm not that cool.

The most important thing in making your Scuba comeback is to have fun.
I'm having fun already.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom