How do all these gopros get lost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm suggesting that one develop basic diving skills before taking on a still or video camera. My suggestion is the same before one starts lobster hunting or spearfishing. I dive in SE FL very frequently, many divers do not meet my criteria

you sound bitter.

Nah just an observation. I've seen all kinds of underwater behavior, but since go pros gained popularity, hijinks have flourished. The OP wanted to know why so many get lost, my theory is the sheer volume of go pros in divers hands is a factor then add in all kinds of behavior and voila.

It's just too dang small.

I put mine on top of my camera hot shoe mount so I can take video & picture at the same time. One time it came unscrewed & fell off onto a wreck 2' below me. So I picked it up & reinstalled it. After that dive, it has also lanyard so when the next time it comes unscrewed, it will dangle on to my camera.

The OP wanted to know why so many get lost, my theory is the sheer volume of go pros in divers hands is a factor then add in all kinds of behavior and voila.

I was thinking along the lines of what "mechanically" failed. Are the mounts breaking, are the mount screws falling out, are people just forgetting they have them in their hands and letting go?

In my case:

I've had gopro snap mounts disconnect, either because they were jarred or weren't properly latched.

I've had a buddy lose theirs because they didn't attach it properly, or someone walked off with it while we were gearing up.

I have a wrist lanyard on my tray setup. I will occasionally let go of my rig so I can use both hands, relying on my lanyard. Imagine my surprise one dive when I looked over and saw my rig floating there with the lanyard dangling. Fortunately my rig is neutral so it hadn't wandered away.

Task loading and inexperience. It is easy to poke fun at new divers but everyone starts as a new diver. Often the dorky diver from several years back becomes the calm situationally aware diver with a little experience.

Task loading and inexperience is a major problem. Divers should practive the skills till they become rote before adding any more tasks to their diving. Problem is that they don't. They think that once they get the card they are a diver - they are not. The card is only a learners permit, nothing more.

In the local quarry, almost all of the GoPro's that are found are attached to the head strap. It's just not very secure, unless you can get it under your hood.

I use a coiled attachment cord for mine, one with the clips so you can shorten it up. It stays clipped to a D-ring at all times; I can drop it if necessary without really worrying about losing it.

I saw three lost by three guys, one each, not tethered during a high current dive on the Vandy on a single dive.

They were on selfie sticks with no lanyards. I warned them and the tongue ringed, pierced and tated trio told me to xxxx off!

I had a great solo on the wreck while the trio never made it nor the DM. I returned with my camera and afixed GoPro which is tethered and attached at three points so I could use my arms for the down line. Once on the wreck I detached all but the tether.

N

Here is where I put my GoPro. It still there & I can take picture with my camera & video of the action with GoPro at the same time.

image.jpg

The ones I witnessed were when they had them on a lanyard around their wrists. When they pull off their BC in the water and the crew pull up their BC it pulls off their wrist and they often don't figure it out until too late. Take it off your wrist and snap it to your BC. I have seen a few muck/pointer sticks go this way as well.

I don't think the Go Pros on the trays get lost nearly as much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom