How difficult is it to replace the (big) inflator hose with something longer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All recreational BC's have them AFAIK.

I dove a rental BCD in Spain some years ago. I don’t remember the brand, but it seemed relatively new. No shoulder pull dump valve.

I dove a rental BCD in Spain some years ago. I don’t remember the brand, but it seemed relatively new. No shoulder pull dump valve.

Lucky you.

I literally just did this yesterday. I have a Zen Xdeep and the hose was too short for me....I undid the zip ties and replaced it with a DGX longer hose...easy peasy

I literally just did this yesterday. I have a Zen Xdeep and the hose was too short for me....I undid the zip ties and replaced it with a DGX longer hose...easy peasy
Any dump valve on the elbow?

Sometimes, when you buy an Air2 or clone, it comes with a long corrugated hose that only has to be replaced at the shoulder, with dump included. The proper hose for the "Air2" has a bump in the middle -- connected to the wire inside -- that can be pulled to activate the shoulder dump. Example from Aqua Lung:
UDRAS3QD.jpg

The reason this might be important is if you are actually doing an ascent with some one breathing from your primary, and you are using the alternate/inflator reg. During teh ascent you need to let air out of your BCD so you don't "cork" to the surface. One of your hands is holding the OOA diver's BCD strap, the other is what you use to dump air from your BCD. But you probably don't want to take your reg out of your mouth the raise the inflator over your head, so what do you do? Pull on the shoulder dump....but this is difficult to impossible if your inflator is in your mouth and there is no bump on the corrugated hose that is connected to the shoulder dump. So use the hip dump? First, let's hope it is on the side of you that has the free hand. Second, you are not likely to get a lot of air out of your BCD if you are ascending vertically. What to do? How about reaching over to the dump on your other shoulder? Does your BCD even have one?

Two points:
(1) THIS is why a lot of people don't like the alternate/inflator combo.
(2) If you are going to use one of these combo alternate/inflator rigs anyway, then practice with it as you would be using it in an OOA emergency. Don't let an emergency be the first time you trying breathing through it AND letting air out of your BCD AND hanging onto another diver.

Just sayin'.

if your looking just for the tube x deep sells 3 different lengths. i think i got one myself from DGX the tubes have different designs but all have the same size ends where they attach.

The shoulder dump valve is NOT the easier one to use from my own experience.

Yes
The wriggling, closer to vertical than horizontal diver, that has never used their their lower dump
doesn't know where is, going up when they don't want too trying to find the right button to dump
from a restricted s bent hose, could just pull on it and dump the lot, to arrest their developement

There's no shoulder pull cord on my Zeagle Covert! Just two bottom dump pulls.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom