How did you get experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm still quite new but now at around 40+ dives (almost all in the last 5-6 weeks) getting better at the basic skills, like basic navigation, buoyancy, trim, breathing control, etc happened quickly because I dove as often as I could so the lessons and confidence of the dives could build on each other. Honestly, the dives where my comfort increased the most was just goofing around in the pool at the dive shop after I bought my gear for about 2 hours and a pair of hour long freshwater spring dives. Being outside of a class with no expectations, no pressure, in a very easy, safe environment where I could experiment, practice skills, adjust my equipment, really improves your comfort.

Dive those quarries as often as you can so you don't feel pressured to explore/experience the dive so much.

I buddied with a fellow newbie and we did a lot of very conservative shore dives. I always recommended a new diver trying to buddy with an experienced one. Ideally someone with Rescue cert. or higher. My location at the time made that difficult. My PADI OW manual recommended that you get the phone numbers of fellow OW classmates and go from there. Not Ideal in my opinion.

Maybe check to see if there are any local dive clubs......

Get your own gear so you can go anytime anywhere. If no local dive clubs, visit the local FD or the attached Search and Rescue unit to find divers.

Maybe check to see if there are any local dive clubs......

There are a few clubs but I don’t know about gear. Central Wisconsin Scuba Club is active on Facebook.

Plenty of dive shops in WI also have dive master led “fun dives” that can be a great way to meet buddies (and get a few dives in), but they generally won’t start until later in June when the water temps are better.

OP, I would be happy to buddy up with you at Wazee in Black River Falls or at Square Lake in Stillwater, MN if either are close to you. I’m not an instructor or DM, but I have 500+ dives and I’m happy to be your buddy and help you get comfortable.

There are a few clubs but I don’t know about gear. Central Wisconsin Scuba Club is active on Facebook.

Plenty of dive shops in WI also have dive master led “fun dives” that can be a great way to meet buddies (and get a few dives in), but they generally won’t start until later in June when the water temps are better.

OP, I would be happy to buddy up with you at Wazee in Black River Falls or at Square Lake in Stillwater, MN if either are close to you. I’m not an instructor or DM, but I have 500+ dives and I’m happy to be your buddy and help you get comfortable.
Very generous of you. Yes the local shop I got certified through has fun dives throughout the summer, but its still a bit cold yet. I'm just starting to work on my own gear, should be getting a computer this weekend. I've just learned about Wazee and would certainly make the trip up there at some point this year.

Book the dive trip, but confirm with the dive op that you are a newbie. If possible hire your own personal DM/Instructor for the first few dives. Do some shore dives if entry conditions aren't too difficult. Remember that you are doing this to have fun: beyond basic mask clearing,etc., don't feel you have to tough out dive conditions that are uncomfortable for you.

Very generous of you. Yes the local shop I got certified through has fun dives throughout the summer, but its still a bit cold yet. I'm just starting to work on my own gear, should be getting a computer this weekend. I've just learned about Wazee and would certainly make the trip up there at some point this year.

Go on the fun dives and rent the gear from the shop. After a few of these and your trip, you might decide that local lakes are not your thing, and you didn't need to buy that 7mm wetsuit after all.

Go on the fun dives and rent the gear from the shop. After a few of these and your trip, you might decide that local lakes are not your thing, and you didn't need to buy that 7mm wetsuit after all.
Or…you might decide you like those lakes, but a drysuit will extend your diving season and keep you a lot more comfortable below the thermocline even in the middle of August. OP will also open up a lot of Great Lakes wreck diving if they go that route.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom