How did you get experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joining a club trip for a land based rather than LOB dive trip is another good way of gaining experience. A bit less pressure for a land based trip and you also have a bit more down time to chill after your dives. And once you get a few dives under your belt take an Advanced and then a Rescue course. But it all boils down to diving regularly and working on your skill set.

Maybe you'd be surprised how many newly minted divers immediately take that first dive trip. I was one of them. I got certified because I was already planning a trip to Australia. The next dive after certification--my first dive ever outside of the OW course--was the Great Barrier Reef.
This was precisely my wife’s experience. I had business in Canberra and we went to Heron Island afterward, where she did her first salt-water dive. She’ll hit 900 this fall, if all goes to plan. Wheeler, you can do a logistically-simple trip—St. Croix comes to mind, you don’t need a passport and currents are generally nonexistent to mild—and the guides should take very good care of you. Everyone will be rooting for you!

I think my answer is banned in this forum...

I am a newer diver. My way of gaining experience is dive two weekends a month. Usually I will do one dive in springs and one 2 tank boat dive a month. Our trips tend to be to the keys which provide lots of diving options.

I dove the keys shortly after being certified and if you let the dive operator know your experience level they can put you on appropriate trips. Next month I plan on diving Looe Key as it supposed to be in better shape than most other reefs. Looe Key is pretty shallow diving, I believe 25' and less. There are lots of shallow reefs in Florida that new divers can comfortably do. Pick your location/dives to match your experience and you should enjoy yourself and get more experience.

I am a newer diver. My way of gaining experience is dive two weekends a month. Usually I will do one dive in springs and one 2 tank boat dive a month. Our trips tend to be to the keys which provide lots of diving options.

I dove the keys shortly after being certified and if you let the dive operator know your experience level they can put you on appropriate trips. Next month I plan on diving Looe Key as it supposed to be in better shape than most other reefs. Looe Key is pretty shallow diving, I believe 25' and less. There are lots of shallow reefs in Florida that new divers can comfortably do. Pick your location/dives to match your experience and you should enjoy yourself and get more experience.
You're lucky to be located somewhere where extensive exposure gear and hours of driving to get to a deep hole aren't required!

then pm me
Dont solo dive yet. Its just too risky, you may encounter problems that you cant deal with adequately. Gain experience with buddies first. Once you're fairly competent as a diver, then you can think about solo diving.

They've probably been mentioned, but I recommend joining a local dive club, hopefully there is one. There may be one associated with your local dive shop.

You can also do a search in Facebook to find facebook pages for local dive clubs, or just a general local scuba diving page where you can post seeking buddies.

You're lucky to be located somewhere where extensive exposure gear and hours of driving to get to a deep hole aren't required!
Very true, Florida a great place to live if you dive. The keys are a good place for vacation divers, I have seen all sorts skill levels on dive boats in the keys. There is a dive you will love in the keys.

Facebook groups, meetup and your LDS may schedule dives that you can join. When I dive springs, I am often with a Facebook group (It's dive o'clock somewhere in central Florida). A benefit of diving with a group is making friends that like to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom