how did the Caymans handle Emily?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdwho

Contributor
Reaction score
Emily was supposed to be passing south of the Caymans last night. Haven't seen any reports of how close it came, damage, etc.

How are our Cayman Scubaboarders doing today?

sdwho

I got an e-mail from Caymancase Friday, she said that their power would likely be turned off until the storm passes. So, they're probably sitting in the dark, listening to the wind. Hopefully, the island just got some wind and rain, but no real damage.

Fortunately, it appears Emily didn't pass any closer than Tropical Storm Force winds. Still in the rain and wind bands, so it's not over for them yet, but the brunt of it passed south, thankfully. Hopefully the storm surge didn't do too much damage, topside or to the beloved reefs and walls.

The Cayman Kai area (Northside district around Rum Point) appears to have been spared any damage. Winds never reached hurricane strength and rain was intermittent.

I haven't yet had a chance to drive around elsewhere, but I suspect little to no damage around Grand Cayman.

Power was never shut off, and I even had a clear signal for the satellite TV for most of the night.

We seem to have got off remarkably lightly. A slight shift towards the west from Emily at around midnight meant that the closest she came to us was about 105 miles away.
Here in Georgetown we have had some tropical storm force winds and plenty of rain but no apparant damage.
We never lost power (Casey lives around the corner so she should have been ok too!) so all in all it's been quite bearable.
I don't think we'll be diving for a day or so though as the seas are still heaving and we still have some good squalls coming through.

Thinking of our counterparts in Mexico now and wishing them the best.

CJ

I have a couple of branches down in my yard but nothing else. Drove round the Island yesterday p.m. & couldn't see any damage - some sand across the road in South Sound though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom