How did quick release belts become a safety standard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A thank you to Sam for actually answering the OP.

From what I could find online, the DAN research came up with 26 to 30 percent on cardiac events causing diving deaths, dependant on who is quoting them. Not a majority, but a significant amount. Since the DAN folks are the only ones trying to get a scientific handle on the issue, I'll take there word on it over an internet poster trying to make a point.

The reason people don't drop their weight belt, other than a medical event, is that they are not drilled enough to do it under pressure, and it's hard to do anything once you descend into panic. Back in the day, my training focused upon surviving in a hostile environment. Today it is more about being trained quickly and looking at pretty fishes, which is fine until something goes wrong.

I dropped my belt twice, once back in the day on scuba and the other when free diving. It works!

Bob
--------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

This is the type of weight belt I use
rb1.jpg
It's quick release, but it also won't randomly come undone on a dive. However, if I lost my weight belt, I wouldn't rocket to the surface because, even in my drysuit, I only have 2kgs on the belt (for sea diving I add a 2kg v-weight in between my cylinders).
And I'm sorry, but I am calling complete BS on needing a 100 lbs of lift for single cylinder diving. In my twinset and a single ali 7 stage, a 40 lbs wing is more than sufficient in keeping my head well above the water (with no gas in the drysuit). And in a full twinset (equivalent of steel HP 100s) with a full stage, I am at least 10kgs overweight at the start of a dive. I can even do a unconscious diver lift on another diver wearing the same.
While assisting with a rescue class, I got to play victim (which I did in my single tank set-up, 30 lb wing). I did not make an easy victim for the students, thrashing about, not letting them anywhere near me, being an all around pain really. When they were finally able to get ahold me and inflate my wing completely (i purposefully only had a partially inflated wing, kept making myself go under as I had my reg in, etc), my head was well above water and there was no chance of me being able to go under, it wasn't going to happen.
So yeah, 100 lbs wing, is not needed in any way, shape or form. especially for warm water

A thank you to Sam for actually answering the OP.

From what I could find online, the DAN research came up with 26 to 30 percent on cardiac events causing diving deaths, dependant on who is quoting them. Not a majority, but a significant amount. Since the DAN folks are the only ones trying to get a scientific handle on the issue, I'll take there word on it over an internet poster trying to make a point.

The reason people don't drop their weight belt, other than a medical event, is that they are not drilled enough to do it under pressure, and it's hard to do anything once you descend into panic. Back in the day, my training focused upon surviving in a hostile environment. Today it is more about being trained quickly and looking at pretty fishes, which is fine until something goes wrong.

I dropped my belt twice, once back in the day on scuba and the other when free diving. It works!

Bob
--------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

I guess if it isn't used it doesn't matter what kind of release is on a belt. There was a time when a new diver had to learn how to fasten a belt with a D-ring and make it quick release...in the dark, while someone is releasing the shoulder strap D ring then flooding or removing their mask and maybe a fin and if the new diver was stilling doing well after that, maybe knock the 2nd stage out of their mouth. OH the humanity! It did help make for good divers, didn't it Bob?

1. First and most importantly neutrally buoyant is face in the water floating at eye level.
2. Why trust your non experience to decide it? You will never need to help a diver in this situation, I hope. But having an opinion about that number is ridiculous, because you simply have no grounds to decide one way or the other.
3.There is somewhere between a 5 and 10 pounds swing to most common tanks from full to empty, and if you assume the problems happens at the beginning then we have to add that weight back in.4. Holding a full breath of air gives about ten pounds of positive buoyancy, depending on lots of things.

5. The idea that any snorkel ever helped a panicked diver is so ridiculous that it can pass without comment. Panicked divers are helped by having their face dramatically clear of water and basically nothing else.

6. Why argue with someone with experience about what's necessary?

1. If you do not even understand know the basics you should probably be doing a LOT more listening then talking, even a guy like you might learn something. This site might help you understand what neutral buoyant is. Drownproofing

2. This is still a ridicules statement so you repeating it is just a waist of time. My non-experience as you call it comes from 44 years of diving, 10 of those years I worked as a commercial diver. I think I have more then enough grounds decide.

3. Another ridicules statement. This site will give you the exact numbers. Scuba Cylinder Specification Chart from Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan

4. More over inflated numbers. The lungs hold 6 liters of air but only a small portion is exhaled with every breath. Lung volumes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. Getting them on the surface quickly in an extreme emergency was the whole point of dropping their weights. It is simple and fail proof rather then the way you would do it. The snorkel is also simple and fail proof. It has been my experience that as soon as you drop a panicking divers weights on the surface they stop panicking at which point they might need the snorkel.

6. Another ridicules statement. The fact that you do not even understand basics tells me that you have little or no experience worth relating to others.

Hopefully you will learn something from the sites I have provided. Once you have a grasp of the basics please feel free to ask any questions you may have, I am always willing to help out an amateur like yourself.

You are assuming that something in the nature of diving is causing the heart attacks. The number one cause of death in golf is also heart attacks--what is it about golf that is causing those heart attacks

Wow... thanks for posting that. I knew there was a very good reason I never took up golf!

Wow... thanks for posting that. I knew there was a very good reason I never took up golf!

I agree 110%

Extracted from my post number 46

(I certainly hope I never get old enough to need to drown worms on a wishing stick or play pasture pool to avoid stress- what a waste of time and a life!)

SDM

1. If you do not even understand know the basics you should probably be doing a LOT more listening then talking, even a guy like you might learn something. This site might help you understand what neutral buoyant is. Drownproofing

2. This is still a ridicules statement so you repeating it is just a waist of time. My non-experience as you call it comes from 44 years of diving, 10 of those years I worked as a commercial diver. I think I have more then enough grounds decide.

3. Another ridicules statement. This site will give you the exact numbers. Scuba Cylinder Specification Chart from Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan

4. More over inflated numbers. The lungs hold 6 liters of air but only a small portion is exhaled with every breath. Lung volumes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. Getting them on the surface quickly in an extreme emergency was the whole point of dropping their weights. It is simple and fail proof rather then the way you would do it. The snorkel is also simple and fail proof. It has been my experience that as soon as you drop a panicking divers weights on the surface they stop panicking at which point they might need the snorkel.

6. Another ridicules statement. The fact that you do not even understand basics tells me that you have little or no experience worth relating to others.

Hopefully you will learn something from the sites I have provided. Once you have a grasp of the basics please feel free to ask any questions you may have, I am always willing to help out an amateur like yourself.

None of you links are on point, except one, and that actually gives the very number I stated. Are you even reading what you are writing, let alone the links you are posting?

1. You know what panicked divers don't do? Drownproofing (or basically any useful action that can help them). What diving class is that taught in again? And should I enroll them in that class once they start panicking, or after I rescue them? (and seriously, nothing that works in a pool has anything to do with what works in the ocean. You bad misunderstanding of what an openocean is actually like argues against your claimed experience.

Land based animals have powerful instinctual responses that are minimized by training, but they are not even slightly eliminated. They are surpressed by mindful action. You seem to be completely unaware of what panic is. What is the number one rule of diving again? What do people OOA nonetheless try to do because instinct is instinct? I know. DAN statistics know. You, clearly, don't.

2. Commercial diving? Great, you know more about that world than I ever will. Hopefully you do not have overweighted commerical divers in recreactional gear at the surface rejecting their gear, and panicking. If you do, then anything you have to say is on point. And commercial diving might be like that, because I know nothing about commerical diving. Nothing. Nada. Zero. Zilch.

If commercial diving is not like that, you are being silly to the detriment of safety. Pilots know about flying, not about aircraft maintenance. You know nothing about working in recreational diving. Nothing. Nada. Zero. Zilch. I know. You don't.

3. Did you even fsking look at any of those links? Look up a Luxfer AL80 at the very site you linked and tell me the swing from empty to full. It's 6 freaking pounds, by your own info. Before you argue, before you link, read your own link. I read the link. I know. You, bizarrely enough, do not even know what you yourself linked to even says.

4. Teach open water and you will find that even average divers can adjust their breathing range to make up for the change in buoyancy of a tank during a dive. Add the choking response and thinks swing even more. You know what the difference between normal breathing volume and the residual volume of someone choking to clear an airway? I do. You don't.

5. You know how long ago we did away with the idea of ditching a weight belt at depth in recreational diving? Again, the heinie being talked out of is thine, kind sir. We no longer demo or practice positive buoyancy ascents, and we have not for 20 plus years. So no matter what you think the weight is there for, every training agency disagrees with you. Go ahead and tilt at those windmills if you like. They will laugh at how out of touch you are with recreational diving. I know. You don't.

You seem completely unaware of your level of ignorance. That's fine for most things on the internet. It's the very basis of the internet. The real world is where people with experience do things, and the internet is where those people get ignored.

Except when we are talking about safety in recreational diving, the protection of which is at the basis of the very existence of my livelihood. So it freaking matters to me, personally, financially, when people get these things so profoundly wrong. You don't do this for a living, never have never will. I do.

(Posters Name redacted) can say what they want, and I will listen. You? Why do you even care? It's hard to see why you should even have any opinions about this at all. It simply has nothing to do with you, and never has. Why do you have any opinion at all, even the profoundly unjustified and mistaken ones you do?

Pilots know about flying, not about aircraft maintenance.

You finally said something I agree with. Hey, it is all going to be okay, do not let the collective wind you up so much :). You made me think which is something I rarely do much any more, too hard on my three remaining brain cells.

N

4. Teach open water and you will find that even average divers can adjust their breathing range to make up for the change in buoyancy of a tank during a dive. Add the choking response and thinks swing even more. You know what the difference between normal breathing volume and the residual volume of someone choking to clear an airway? I do. You don't.

BS your no instructor and given the ridicules statements you make I do not think you are a diver. You are what is commonly refereed to on this site as a troll so I will not waist any more time trying to enlighten you as that is not what you are here for.

even average divers can adjust their breathing range to make up for the change in buoyancy of a tank during a dive.
The buoyancy swing of a 15L 200 bar tank - the standard tank for many years in Metric county - is 3.6kg, i.e. 8lbs. Adjusting for that buoyancy swing by adjusting breathing range is pretty darned impressive, considering that the normal lung capacity of an adult male is about 3.5 liters.

I call BS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom