How deep is Cozumel diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffMandell once bubbled...
I appreciate that some of you are worried that my ear doctor is incompetent, but I've been going to him for a long time and trust him.
However, in an exercise of caution, he thought two atmospheres down (60 feet - 70feet) would be a good place to stop to be sure, as pressure obviously keeps increasing as we descend further.

Any further thoughts on how much this limit will affect my diving week welcomed. And thanks to all for your concerns.

Don't confuse incompentence with lack of experience in diving issues. Call DAN.

Its not the total pressure your ear is under that is important, its how FAST that pressure changes. The pressure gradient is strongest when you are shallow. When you go from:

0fsw -> 10fsw 30% increase
10fsw -> 20fsw 23% increase
20fsw -> 30fsw 19% increase
70fsw -> 80fsw 10% increase

See how it becomes less profound? Its not the total pressure thats important because you are equalizing. Its how fast the pressure changes and if you can equalize that fast.

JeffMandell:
I appreciate that some of you are worried that my ear doctor is incompetent, but I've been going to him for a long time and trust him.

I don't think that anyone was saying that your doc was incompetent. it's just that if he is not completely versed on the effect that diving has on the ears, it might be a good idea to consult a doctor who is.

To be honest, I'd keep it to a nice 0 foot dive if you have trouble balancing your pressure at all. One of the things you do not need in Cozumel is ear trouble. Some of the dives are wall dives and there can be vicious downdrafts that will pull you down if you're not paying attention (rapture of the deep, anyone?) Also, seeing you're on a wall, if you get vertigo, it can be a major problem.

Mike

Many dives in Coz can be dove and enjoyed at under 80 feet. Do tell both the dive operator and the divemaster on your boat about your 80 foot limit and they will still have plenty of dive site options to choose from that fit this profile where you are down in the coral with the rest of the group and not hovering above them watching the action.

From what your doctor told you it sounds like you just have a "crunchy" ear from a minor cold or sinus infection and not some sort of blockage or more serious medical condition. Given some time to recover prior to your trip, as your doctor suggests, you will probably be just fine with sudafed but don't push it. If in doubt in any way I'd try snorkeling first and not jump on a dive boat until you are more comfortable that you can equalize your ears easily.

If you are having ear equalizing difficulties you will most likely experience them within the first 30 feet of your dive but this may not always be the case. Keep in mind that with ear troubles it is possible that you equalize just fine to depth and then have difficulty equalizing on your ascent. Don't let your eagerness to dive put your health and safety at risk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom