How deep have you gone on air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it'd be more accurate to say that you were narc'd but that you had dived enough to build up a mental adaptation that allowed you to function narc'd at that depth. Humans are quite adaptable in terms of training our bodies and minds to function on autopilot ... but that adaptation doesn't change our physiology.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This seems to eventually come up in every discussion I have with divers here in Czech. They tell me they are acclimated and are not narc'd. So we go in circles a few times before dropping it.
I am like Bill in that I work up to deeper dives over a couple days at least. If there is a wreck we want to see at 50 meters. I'll want to do at least one dive to between 30-40 and preferably several.

Unfortunately for me I have never experienced "the rapture of the deep"
I always experience negative feelings from high pp of nitrogen. If I work up to it, I don't notice it as much.

I worry about the ones that tell me they have never been narc'd. Even though they dive regularly to over 30 meters.

My max dive was to 60 meters and I tried to take a picture. I thought I held the camera steady. After the dive I looked at it. LOL

My personal planned max depth for air is now about 50 meters. ymmv

I worry about the ones that tell me they have never been narc'd. Even though they dive regularly to over 30 meters.

I don't worry about them ... but they do remind me of Albert Collins ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have gone 13,000 feet to titanic on air in my spare-air, split fins and a 3mm wetsuite.... Best wreck dive ever !

You FIBBER! :shocked2: The Titanic is at only 12,600 feet!!!

Men and their measurements! :dramaqueen:

You FIBBER! :shocked2: The Titanic is at only 12,600 feet!!!

Men and their measurements! :dramaqueen:

Everything looks bigger underwater...

Reactions: Jax
Am I the only one willing to admit in public that he enjoys the narcosis buzz around 150 feet or so?

Am I the only one willing to admit in public that he enjoys the narcosis buzz around 150 feet or so?

Yes. :D

I've done several dives on air to around 200 feet. Double 80's ,2 deco tanks.
Limit the bottom time to around 15 minutes to keep the O2 under control. Only do this in perfect conditions. No overhead,good viz,warm water and no current.

The narcosis is certainly there, but it's manageable on a simple dive.

Depends upon the dive spot. You know the standard mix is 40 and 96 but the latter is hard to find and its for tech people only. So we usually do 40 right from the start. But home made mix you can get from 50 to 70. Some people start with 6 and them move up to higher percentages during the dive but never the other way or you will get a hit.
For me I usually prefer 40 as its a DIR mix, Mendeleev proved it hundred years ago.:wink:
Thanks for setting me straight. I admit I was a little confused at the beginning, but once you threw in Mendeleev (I know his stuff forwards and backwards), it all made sense!

Only 57 feet, but it was a good lesson learned... While certified for only 40feet, I became "that guy"... You know.. the squirrel chaser. I was pretty diligent up to that point to stay close to the group, but I just HAD to try and get a picture of myself next to some big ole' fish.

I was only chasing it for a moment.... then, ting, ting, ting... The DM is getting my attention by rapping her tank. I look over...then up... waaaay up. Oops! I wasn't scared to be that far from the group, but as someone with a whopping 3 dives under his belt, I probably should have been!
I'll (try to) not do that again.

The picture of the fish sucked. The picture of her (fins outstretched) giving me the "level off and come up" signs (aka, giving me much-deserved heck) is a keeper.

TooDeep.jpg

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom