How deep have you gone on air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, at 300, was your starting mix 40, or 50 mix?

Depends upon the dive spot. You know the standard mix is 40 and 96 but the latter is hard to find and its for tech people only. So we usually do 40 right from the start. But home made mix you can get from 50 to 70. Some people start with 6 and them move up to higher percentages during the dive but never the other way or you will get a hit.
For me I usually prefer 40 as its a DIR mix, Mendeleev proved it hundred years ago.:wink:

My max depth has been to 35m - and in truth, I've never been to a deeper site ... never even had the option to go deeper !!

With more training, I would like to go much deeper, but until then, I am perfectly content diving within conservative recreational no-deco advisories.

BTW, it should be the goal of all deep divers to return safely. Why go that deep and die?

Reminds me of one of my favourite stories (that I have told on SB before) about a group of tech divers who were gearing up amongst a crowd of recreational divers, and one of the rec divers asked them:

"How deep are you guys planning to go?".

"Planning for 200 feet" came back the reply.

The rec diver though about it for a second and then said "Do you guys really have enough gas to go that deep?"

"Oh sure," comes the reply. Before adding, whilst scratching his head with a deadpan face: "I'm just not sure if we have enough gas to get back up again."

About 150 spearfishing on the Gulf oil rigs.

100' to the Speigle Grove in Key Largo on my 15th dive with an instructor, 100' viz. It was the planned depth and the depth of the wing wall deck of the ship. I felt fine and was very comfortable at that depth but would not want to repeat it in limited viz until I'm more experienced. So far I prefer shallower reef dives in warm water and good viz but deeper is sometimes required to get to the site you plan to dive but I have no intreats to go deeper than 100'.

Well, as many of you know, I'm a rather shallow fellow. However, during the period (about two years) that I was filming for a cable TV episode on "Deep Ecology" I routinely went to 200 ft on air. On one set of three dives I averaged 180 ft (200, 180, 160 ft). No ill effects (at least not ones that were caused by the deep dives). Probably haven't been deeper than 150 ft in the past two years though. Of course I do not recommend this to anyone else. I spent some time gradually acclimating myself to deeper and deeper depths before I hit my 200 ft basement. Because of that and the fact I was doing about 325 dives a year then, I wa not overly narced and could easily film. If I tried it today, without the acclimitization period, I'd probably be narced as could be.

Well, as many of you know, I'm a rather shallow fellow. However, during the period (about two years) that I was filming for a cable TV episode on "Deep Ecology" I routinely went to 200 ft on air. On one set of three dives I averaged 180 ft (200, 180, 160 ft). No ill effects (at least not ones that were caused by the deep dives). Probably haven't been deeper than 150 ft in the past two years though. Of course I do not recommend this to anyone else. I spent some time gradually acclimating myself to deeper and deeper depths before I hit my 200 ft basement. Because of that and the fact I was doing about 325 dives a year then, I wa not overly narced and could easily film. If I tried it today, without the acclimitization period, I'd probably be narced as could be.
I think it'd be more accurate to say that you were narc'd but that you had dived enough to build up a mental adaptation that allowed you to function narc'd at that depth. Humans are quite adaptable in terms of training our bodies and minds to function on autopilot ... but that adaptation doesn't change our physiology.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom