How deep have you gone on air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

65 feet :D just deep enough for AOW. However, that dive was in 2 ft visibility and 50 degrees, in a 3 mil :shocked2: without gloves :eyebrow:

The deepest was 83m/273ft. That was a solo dive too. I was checking out whether any sharks were passing along a deep 3-400m wall at dawn - leaving a large bay into the open ocean. Entered the water at 5am (pre-dawn) and descended the wall. Hit pre-planned bottom depth (275ft), swam along the wall for 150yds then ascended. Sun was rising during the ascent. Most of my deco was done on a great coral reef at the top of the wall, where I had left my camera. Did this same dive a few times of the space of 2 weeks. Was out of the water and eating breakfast when all the other divers were waking up. No sharks though.

I've also done around 15 deep air dives to around 250ft, diving with a buddy/team to map/penetrate wrecks. 20-30 minutes bottom time on those. Efforts to map were hindered by post-dive amnesia.

Narcosis was heavy, but not debilitating. Water conditions were; warm water, 20m+ viz, little current at bottom depth (but sometimes strong on the surface).

Last edited:
Dude, I am Instructor rated, and certified in the '80s. The experiences involved, the personal knowledge needed and the fact that people might push past their realistic limits is the reason it should be moved... Ummm... Without knowing anything about me, you have made a mistake of knowing my experiences.

Some of us dive deeper than you can imagine on a regular basis. We make safe dives because we understand the effects and the deterrents which limit our dives to deco standing... These I will not get into in the "Basic" area.

I wish you the best on your AOW, but it has nothing to do with moving this thread, and you really have NO idea of the limits I have dived in order to capture others who were way out of their league in a dive situation.

If you truly believe that "getting deep and living to tell the story is the goal", I am sorry for your AOW instructor. He has his job cut out for him ...
This diver is certified for OW. Will complete my AOW hopefully this summer. My max depth is 58 feet, just at the limit of recommended depth for my skill and training.

At 130 feet max recommended depth for recreational diving, I suspect the reason this thread has generated the responses you know you are pushing the limits beyond what has been recommended. And just because you did does not mean it was safe to do so.

Just because you could doesn't mean you should.

Getting deep is not the only goal, going deep and living to tell the story is the goal. Once you go down you must come up. Preferrably alive to tell the tale.

To CoolTech,

My apologies if you thought it was a personal response. I was trying to make or second the motion that going deep requires more knowledge and experience than here in "basic scuba discussions." I agree that these are beyond the scope of a basic discussion. I intended to quote you on the issue that we are in the basic scuba forum, and we do not have the experience or the skills yet to understand the limits of diving air at depth.

I understand divers like to push the limits of diving deep. For those that have the requisite skill that is fine. My only question is when divers dive deep without that skill or training.

As for my dive instructor and the dig on me, we are planning a dive to 130 feet later. That is the recreational limits recommended. I have three kids and a wife who doesn't feel comfortable until I actually come home. She is afraid I'm going to drown while diving. If my instructor has his work cut out for him then it is because we both have to return to the surface safely. He has two girls of his own.

BTW, it should be the goal of all deep divers to return safely. Why go that deep and die?

I do apologize, I meant no disrespect to you or the other deep divers.

My usual norm is 300. But once we managed to go through a liter and a half over a course of 2 dives which lasted 12 hours overall. It was me and my buddy whom I did not see for 3 years. The bottom mix was 40% and we decompressed on air, right on my balcony. We definitely felt narc at some point but in general we had no issues operating the valve on the stages. We had out of mix emergency once but looking more closer we found another stage bottle in the cabinet. We did not prepare well for the dives as it was unexpected but I managed to have many stages half full so overall we had more than enough mix. The decompression lasted for the whole following day and was done on 6% mix.

47m on air.

Few weeks ago on 21% 142ft on bottom of Lake Travis really sucked will pass on that again or at least until lake fills backup and desilts. A few times to 150's and once to 167 but after many days of building up tolerance every day deep diving and cozumel perfect conditions it was a breeze. I much prefer TMX its amazing how within just a few breaths you become so clear and focused on switching from 21% as a travel gas to TMX.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom