• 75-100 ft

Votes: 71 32.1%
  • 100+ ft

Votes: 71 32.1%
  • How deep is the titanic again?

Votes: 10 4.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Solomon
Myself, have suffererd no noticeable impairment at 120 feet
Exactly.
You didn't notice it....
But it was there none the less....
And when the other things you aren't noticing turn out to be the start of a bad day you may never have the chance to correct the situation....
Some of you seem to think that it only begins to matter when you can begin to feel it.... and you miss the point... it matters most when you can't feel it!

btw Solomon.... what kind of NDL dives do you have planned for 120~130 feet? How about an example of time/depth/gas?

I have done wall dives this deep for 5 - 7 minutes then ascend usually to around 85-80 feet and so on. I usually try to keep my computer out of the yellow (Oceanic DataPlus). By the way, this is only on the first dive of the day when doing multiple dives. Also do this on bounce dives while spear fishing (I admit I will bouce this deep on more than one dive if doing multiple dives fishing). Will descend to 120 feet or so and if the fish I am seeking are not there within a couple of minutes will go shallower. If I had the software where I could download my computer I would post some profiles but I do not have it. Nonetheless, I have never put my computer in deco mode. It is rare that the computer goes 2 bars into the yellow. The times that it has I have done extra long safety stops (7-10 minutes) until it is at least one if not two bars under yellow.

meant to add that this is on air. Will never dive nitrox spear fishing because the bottom is often 600-800 feet deep. Max I have done on EAN32 is 87 feet.

meant to add that this is on air. Will never dive nitrox spear fishing because the bottom is often 600-800 feet deep. Max I have done on EAN32 is 87 feet.

Because of this fictional bogey man many divers get hung up on artifical benchmark when they shouldreally be more concerned with how comfortable they feel about their skills in the context of the dive.
Why would a bottom of 600-800 feet keep you from diving EAN32?
Why would you max EAN32 at 87 feet?

Hmmm.... I guess we all have our boogey men....

Why 87 on EAN32? Simple, have not been nitrox certified for very long and that was the depth at the bottom on the nitrox dives I have done. Have been to other destinations since then but nitrox was not available. No bogey man there. As for spearfishing on a rig with an 800 foot bottom-would you want nitrox in your tank while at 105 feet with a 60 pound fish at the end of your gun? They tend to go down when hit with a spear and sometimes you go for a ride unitl they can be controlled. I guess you could drop the gun but that would get expensive fast. I will stick with air while shooting fish deep. If the fish were at 65 feet, which they are usually not, I would dive nitrox.

No bogey man there.

They tend to go down when hit with a spear and sometimes you go for a ride unitl they can be controlled.
OK...
How deep do they take you?

I have seen people pulled down 30 feet or more. Certainly deeper than 110 feet. I have never hooked up with one that big at this depth but even a 15 pound snapper can give a good tug. Too big a risk of oxygen hit to mess with nitrox while doing this.

The NOAA exposure limit is 1.6 pO2 for 45 minutes. On EAN32 that is 130 feet. You should plan for 1.4 pO2, but it is not really a problem to drop down to (or even a few feet past) 130. Not that it should be a regular occurence, but it's not suicide.

brandon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom