• 75-100 ft

Votes: 71 32.1%
  • 100+ ft

Votes: 71 32.1%
  • How deep is the titanic again?

Votes: 10 4.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As long as I remain in the safe limits of my dive tables and I do not go beyond my training and experience then there should be no problems.

As an advanced diver I am allowed to go down to 130ft. Do I have to? NOPE but I can if I want to because I have received the proper training to do so. That is the key. And if I am diving with a person who has not received the same training as me of course I will not encourage that person to exeed their limitations or qualifications.

Originally posted by LilmanHSU
In regards to WreckWriter's point about not having a lot of opinions about it. And Scubarescuepd 's comment about being a dangerous poll.

We can use this poll just like we can use any other. If a person is reading this saying, if he can do it, why can't I? Is either 1. not certified, or 2. a beginner, and shouldn't even consider diving deep.

Would I (as a recreational diver only) say, "I can do that?" and do it.

No way, diving 101 described in good detail the effects of depth, DCS, and pressure on the human body. Not to mention the training, equipment and experience required to acomplish something like this.

I, for one, am enjoying this discussion.. Its sparking a lot of interesting comments about our sport.. Why not discuss it? It is a part of diving right? And why not give some positive information to new divers.
-Paul

I agree it's an interesting discussion. I also think my point is being proven, at least so far, in that most of the answers have come from people who's deepest dive is less than or slightly more than 100'. I've seen the "recreational limit" mentioned several times. That's good.

If you don't think people will take on things beyond their skill level then you should read some dive accident reports. People WILL do it just because they think they can get away with it and because it will be "cool". Some will succeed, others will make the local paper. It happens very regularly.

Tom

Originally posted by Scubarescuepd
what is there to see at great depths. most sea life is above the 75 ft range.

Wrecks. What other reason is there to dive? :wink:

Tom

Wrek,

I agree fully that those who knew they were diving too deep for their own experience, might not say so..

But then again, I phrased the title of the poll, How deep do you like to dive?

In other words, are you a tech diver, or rec diver.. so far, its a large majority of rec divers..

I have gone to 100 fsw but really don't care to go that deep, unless what I am trying to see is at that depth.

Usually I am between 20 fsw and 75 fsw. That is where I find the most marine life to shoot pics of.

I am not a maverick who goes deep just so I can "brag" how deep I go. Boasting is not my cup of tea, diving with the marine life is what it is all about for me.

How deep do I like to dive?

Well, I like to dive to 50 (just where snorkling becomes useless, for me anyway) that way I can stay down basically forever when on 36% or 40%, be warm, and safe. However in the real world, I may have to dive down to 75 or 120 feet to see what I am after. I don't get as much time and it is much riskier.

I voted 100+ because that is the max depth for most of my dives--atleast the ones I don't do in the quarry (I stay above the thermocline--right now its ~25ft)

brandon

I typically 'like' to dive in the 50 to 75 foot range.

I have been as deep as 120 feet a few times and have been to 100 feet on several occasions when what I was going to see happened to be that deep.

As others have said, the focus should clearly be on doing dives that you find enjoyable and that you have the training, experience, and ability to perform. If you do that, then the deepest dive is just another mildly interesting statistic, like coldest dive or longest dive.

i am under 100 .
for my own reasons but at some time in my life ide like to go beyond , not beacuse i wanna say i did it but to gain the knolage on doing it deeper ! but i like my scallop diving between 50 to 80
thats the zone i am most comfortable in :D

My deepest was 200 ft on a single 80 air cylinder....this was when I was curious, young, dumb and stupid. Looking back, I would say I am just lucky to be here today. My dives now are conservative, I stay in the 50-90 feet range. This is where you find most of the marine life, at 200 feet you see mostly sand, and your thought processes functions slow. Dive safe:wink:

Back
Top Bottom