how deep before it gets dark?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's totally worth it, Andy. My wife got me my ride for my birthday a couple of years ago. I'm saving my pennies, nickels, and dimes for the next time we go to Grand Cayman. It's a once-in-a-lifetime dive I hope to repeat. And you don't even get wet!

Someday maybe I'll do tech diving....we'll see.

H2Andy:
ok, well, i can safely say i wont' be diving that deep in the Caribbean

not on purpose, anyway

:wink:

jcpol, i saw those submersibles when my wife and i were in Grand Cayman.
they looked fun, but i recall the price was something extraordinary, so
we decided to hang out at the Hard Rock and drink.

IIRC, prices at the Hard Rock were also something extraordinary :11:

Brian

jcpol:
To WaterDawg - aphotic means without light - the 1000m depth, however, is completely dependent upon water clarity. Clarity is controlled by dispersed sediment in the water column, organic material, etc.

Thank you , I understand that, and I believe I included that in my post, since Andy didnt ask for specific locations, my answer was general. Just as salinity will be a bit higher at the Mississippi delta but there is a general #.

Andy the reason It was so dark at 40FG has to do w/ the duckweed on the surface.

brianstclair:
IIRC, prices at the Hard Rock were also something extraordinary :11:

Brian

oh yes... but two beers didn't dent our enthusiasm for the local band too much

well, four beers... actually, six.. but i stopped counting at that point

WaterDawg:
Thank you , I understand that, and I believe I included that in my post, since Andy didnt ask for specific locations, my answer was general. Just as salinity will be a bit higher at the Mississippi delta but there is a general #.

I just re-read your last line - yes you did include it. I was just making the point that the answer varies by location. Sort of like: the average family has 2.35 kids....doesn't quite tell the whole story.

Please don't take offense WaterDawg, I didn't mean to sound condascending - my apologies.

It's amazing how that can change at the same dive site. I have had ambient light on one dive in MA at 150'. During another time it was almost completely dark (definitely required a light) below 80' at the same sight...nutty.

--Matt

H2Andy:
clearly, low vis kills all the ambient light faster than good vis. so, in good vis
(again, the Caribbean) do you know how deep you have to go before
all ambient light is gone?

Is "just past the stop sign" an acceptable answer? :wink:

oh, especially when you are cavern certified only, there's this photon field that moves with you ... and the daylight zone suddenly "extends" defying all the laws
of physics ...

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom