How Congenial Is Buddy Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randallr. Have you considered a Solo Diver course for times when you can not find a buddy?

Hmmm... This is one of those times I feel I missed that class that everyone else took. What's a Solo Diver course, uncfnp?

And Jersey, thanks for that even more detailed reply. Buddy does seem like a good bet, and I can visualize it pretty easily. It seems set up for people in variable situations. And while I'd like to avail myself of the shore diving, I did only boat dives when I was at Bruce Bowker's, and they were pretty terrific.

Any good suggestions for getting to Bonaire from Miami? Is the best way to fly to Curaçao or Aruba and take a puddle jumper?

Hi Randallr. It is a somewhat controversial (like much of scuba) course offered by SDI

Solo Diver Course | SDI | TDI | ERDI

PADI now also offers their version they call Self Reliant Diver

PADI goes solo - Divernet

I have no experience to comment on either but there is actually a solo diver forum on SB that I'm sure can tell you more. Obviously, solo diving is not for everyone.

Thanks UC. I got NO interest in going out alone. I'm old fashioned that way. Hey, I love boat diving and I have pretty much always been lucky to get a congenial buddy. And boat sju, a Saturday flight won't work for me. I've got to fly on a Tuesday to make it work, but I suspect going through Curacap is an option I'll check this weekend.

a Saturday flight won't work for me. I've got to fly on a Tuesday to make it work, but I suspect going through Curacap is an option I'll check this weekend.

AA MIA<>CUR, then Insel, Tiara, or Divi Divi CUR<>BON.

I've done this route my last 4 trips (including the one I'm on right now:cool2:).

When we went to Buddy Dive, I saw a couple of single divers get together into a group for the remainder of the week. One was by the buddy board chatting with folks and the other was at the Tiki Bar talking to people. Saw them going off several times the rest of the week with the same people in the little trucks. I would also mention it to Irene and the staff in the dive shop when checking in. Also at Buddy dive is John Wall in the photography shop. He is phenomenal! I took the photography class with Cathy Church at Sunset House as well and she is awesome! So when I came across John he had a big act to follow and he does. Did not do a class with him but went to him for suggestions & critique on my new camera/pics and to identify a new creature to me and he is just one of the best! I also came in from a morning dive with batteries that had died and he quickly put on the recharger so that I would have it for the next boat dive.

When we flew we flew MIA-CUR-BON on DAE (Dutch Antilles Express). Great airline!

Also post on here when you are going. When we went to Sunset House last year, I had responded to a thread regarding Nitrox and there was a gentleman who in the thread also mentioned he was going to Sunset House and the dates (which were also ours). He was a solo diver so I invited him to hook up with our group down there and how to find us should he so desire. When we were down there I was at the Tiki Bar and looked across and recognized him from his picture on here and introduced ourselves. So you might find some "pre-buddies" on here!

Thanks, all! I'm going to try to book over the weekend, and will post when I've got it. Any guidance about which rooms to go for and which to avoid?

I would stay on the lion dive ( north ) side of the resort in one of the rooms closest to the ocean. They may not all be renovated yet but the ocean views and big patios on this side are much nicer, in my opinion, than the south end of the resort where the rooms are further from the water.

Singledivers.com is going to bonaire April 20.full of single divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom