How come the SS1 and the yellow octos have small mouthpieces?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fnfalman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Those small mouthpieces are nearly worthless. I am having to refurbish my SS1s and the other regulator octos with the stock mouthpiece that comes on the regular second stage. I'm curious but why equip the octos; inline or second stage, with the small mouthpieces that don't want to stay in your mouth very well?

Hi fnfalman

I know that for the SS1 it is important to have the specific SS1 mouthpiece to prevent free flows. I don't know specifically for the rest as you are more than welcome to switch out the mouthpiece to find one that is comfortable for you. Thanks Fnfalman!

Just from eyeballing, the mouthpiece from the SS1 look exactly like the mouthpiece from the yellow octos.

I was curious because the yellow octos are just as expensive as the regular octos and I was expecting them to be equipped the same way.

The SS1 is slightly different than the rest of the octos. The Ti2 has its own style mouthpiece as well. The rest-B2/Z2 octos come with our standard mouthpiece that is found on any of our primary second stages. Thanks Fnfalman.

The question most SB'ers will ask is, "Why?" Why a different mouthpiece? Is it a flow issue, where you want a different inflow diameter to prevent freeflow? Or is it a marketing thing, with which you will get no support at all?

Those of us that follow this (I have three Atomic regs) REALLY want to see Atomic's reputation maintained. Between the Cobalt recall, the whistling issue (piston or not?) and this mouthpiece thing, I dont want to see Atomic's superior engineering and all-American manufacture derailed by bad marketing strategy decisions.

Talk to us! We're your best source of support! Scary, I know, since there are so many flamers. But it's true!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom