How cold is the water in the PNW (Lakes and Ocean)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rushingwaters

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
How cold does the water get here in the PNW? I am interested in Clear Lake, Detroit Lake, Lake Billy Chinook, and out by Newport. Also do you dive with cold water regulators (environmentally sealed 1st stages)?

In the winter, the water is about 46 to 48 in the Sound, colder up around Vancouver Island. In the summer, it can get up to about 56.

I have an Aqualung Titan for a singles reg (sealed) and SP MK25/S600s for my doubles (unsealed). I've had one freeflow, and it was the sealed reg.

rushingwaters:
How cold does the water get here in the PNW?
Cold is a relative term.

I am interested in:
Clear Lake, - The coldest water on your list. In August, I was reading around 38 f. No thermocline, just cold with ever colder water coming out of the underwater springs at the end of the lake.

Detroit Lake - I don't know, I have never dived there and I don't know anyone who has, but I'm sure a few people do dive there. As it is a lake, you will have thermoclines. Top part of the water is warm, but it gets pretty cold as you go deeper. Most people I know dive Big Cliff reservoir instead of Detroit, which really is also a reservoir. Get in near the base of Detroit dam when the Corp is spilling water and drift down to the exit point at the boat ramp. Water temps in the low 40's except the one year we had little rain and the Corp didn't fill Detroit. The water temp that year was low 50's.

Lake Billy Chinook - No idea
and out by Newport. I'd expect temps pretty close to the puget sound, maybe a degree or two colder.
rushingwaters:
Also do you dive with cold water regulators (environmentally sealed 1st stages)?
I do not.

Dove Clear Lake today. Vis was 250ft. on the North end with the temperature at 41 degrees. South end was 70ft. of vis with temps at 43 degrees. As for the Oregon coast at Florence, temps range from low-mid 40's in the winter to mid-high 50's in the summer.

Some other nice dives near Clear Lake are Trailbridge and Smith Reservoir which are low 40's in the winter to mid-high 40's in the summer.

-Kstnbike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom