How cold does it get at nite on a liveaboard to Komodo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abreeze

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Everyone,

We are going to be on a liveaboard early October to the Komodo area, and were wondering how cold it gets on board at night, expecially from the perspective of a woman. The warmth of my wife seems to directly correlate to the happiness of our trip.

Thanks

Which boat? AC in your cabin? AC in all inside spaces? In October in Indonesia, I've literally never worn more than a T-shirt and shorts, AC or not. But then, I'm a big guy. I've seen my wife wear a thin synthetic long sleeve shirt, and she gets cold. If your wife gets really cold, I still can't imagine she'd want more than a light sweatshirt and maybe a pair of really light, loose pants.

We are going to be on the Arenui, so the inside will have AC. We were just wondering what the outside air temperature will be at nite.

Most nights the air temperature is about 65 degrees. Wind off the water which is about 78 degrees on the flores sea. Indian ocean water temperature is 72 degree. Can be a little chilly on the top decks. Bring a fleece jacket or sweater. Better to be warm than chilly. Also with diving, your core temperature is lowered so you feel colder. It also depends on which anchorage, as the sites on the flores sea are much warmer than the sites than the indian ocean anchorages.

Last edited:
I would guess closer to 70 degrees, which with the humidity will feel a little warmer. Being from Chicago, the humidity will be normal for you.

The liveaboards typically have very warm blankets in the rooms, so no sweat. It's all about metabolism. Get cold, get up and move and get your blood moving. Remember, you're going to be tired after so many dives...

And during the day, you'll have all the heat you want.

Got back a few weeks ago, very interested in hearing your experience on the Arenui. My wife wears 5mm in 80 degree water and wished she had her 7mm for diving in Komodo where we had 75 degree water at many sights. Must admit I got chilled in my 3mm. So for her windbreaker or light fleece would be a good idea for the evenings.

7mm?! They'd be pulling me out from heat exhaustion. :) Everybody is different. Interesting to hear 75 degrees... I think average temp for us was 78. I'll have to check my logs...

water temperature in the south will be 24 degree C. In the north 28 - 29C.
at night on deck 27Degree C in th south and 28 degree C in the north, There should be no wind unless you are cruising.
A long sleeved shirt should be enough to keep the chills away.

I am a woman who gets very cold very easily. I wear a 3mm and hood in 82 degree water (without the hood, I start shivering after about 30 minutes).

I was on a liveaboard in Komodo in late October a couple of years ago (without ac in the cabins) and it was way too hot for me to sleep in the cabin. I ended up taking my mattress and sheets up to the top deck of the boat and sleeping under the stars. It was very comfortable sleeping weather outside.

Komodo was the absolute best diving I've experienced so far. Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom