How can I use a D-180 and YS90 together?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2. Attaching the FO cables:
  • From the photo of the YS-90 patch it looks like the FO cable is too thick to be attached to the Inon adaptor - but I could be wrong
  • Your ther option could be to leave the YS-90 setup as it is, velcro and all, and use an Inon Optical Slave Cable. This cable has a harness that'll go around the YS-90 and the other end connects to the optical sensor of the D-180. So in effect you are using the YS-90 to trigger the D-180
  • Or maybe, using a new patch, shift the hole for the YS-90 FO cable a little to the side, cut a hole on the top of the patch so you can insert the Inon adaptor through it and screw it on to the panel (and patch)
Dee, can you measure how thick the YS-90s cable is? And the 'plug' that attaches the FO to the patch - can that be removed from the patch?

I think the best way is use YS-90DX with INON TTL senser. INON senser for YS strobe has been released for Film cameras. it is almost same as the senser of Z-220. On this case, Use D-180 as the master strobe with Auto mode, and it will work automatic power control, and connect YS-90DX to D-180 with INON optic cable ( this cable to attach the face of D-180 is available ) then D-180 works as the triger strobe for YS-90DX , and more YS-90DX will work as TTL strobe.
The power of YS-90DX will controled by the flashing power of D-180.

So you can use them with Auto mode.

Yuzo

Many thanks Yuzo and glad to see you here on the Board.

Yuzo:
I think the best way is use YS-90DX with INON TTL senser. INON senser for YS strobe has been released for Film cameras. it is almost same as the senser of Z-220. On this case, Use D-180 as the master strobe with Auto mode, and it will work automatic power control, and connect YS-90DX to D-180 with INON optic cable ( this cable to attach the face of D-180 is available ) then D-180 works as the triger strobe for YS-90DX , and more YS-90DX will work as TTL strobe.
The power of YS-90DX will controled by the flashing power of D-180.

So you can use them with Auto mode.

Yuzo

Nice to have you join our jolly crew.

Ken

ReyeR:
...Dee, can you measure how thick the YS-90s cable is? And the 'plug' that attaches the FO to the patch - can that be removed from the patch?

I haven't cut the velcro patch for the 5050 yet, it's still a whole 3-6" piece so I could customize it several ways. I do have an extra FO connector with collar/plug that I picked up in case I ever wanted 2 YS90 strobes.

Like I mentioned to Yuzo, I saw the connector to us the YS90 with the D-180 system and that makes more sense to me. I was just naturally thinking the D-180 would be slaved to the YS90 but it sounds like it may work better the other way around. I'm sure I'll have logistical questions for the setting on both once I think about it more.

Back
Top Bottom