How can I prevent my cylinder from corroding? (Damage to paintwork)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Scubadou

Scubadou

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys, my cylinder has managed to come loose whilst I was driving and ended up rolling about in the back of my car. As a result of this it has collided with other equipment and has ended up with a small amount of damage to the paintwork. Can anyone advise the best way to tidy this up cosmetically and more importantly prevent corrosion?

Thanks in advance!
IMG_4059.jpeg
IMG_4097.jpeg

Thanks for the in depth reply, would covering the bare metal spot with nail polish be ok then?
If I'm correct, the nail polish is acrylic based and therefore is waterproof?
Thanks
Just for a small spot, and also tanks aren’t immersed for any real long length of time, a little nail polish will be fine. Most of those are an air drying acrylic lacquer paint which is fine for intermittent immersion. Look at when they do hydro’s, they don’t use anything fancy to cover up the bare steel where they stamp it, so it will be fine.

Just for a small spot, and also tanks aren’t immersed for any real long length of time, a little nail polish will be fine. Most of those are an air drying acrylic lacquer paint which is fine for intermittent immersion. Look at when they do hydro’s, they don’t use anything fancy to cover up the bare steel where they stamp it, so it will be fine.
Yeah that makes sense, thanks for the comment - I found a good colour matching nail polish so it's looking good and given me peace of mind that it's protected

Attachments

• tempImageKiIW2e.png
    tempImageKiIW2e.png
    462.7 KB · Views: 43
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom