How can I determine if my drysuit is too big?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nomadic diver

Registered
Reaction score
So I went for the online deal for a Pinnacle Freedom 2 drysuit at Dive Right In Scuba instead of going to my lds and going through the proper fitting procedures; and now that I have my PF2 drysuit, I am concerned that it is too big. How can I know for sure if it is?

First, I did check with Pinnacle before I ordered my suit and the guy assured me that a size medium/large would be fine for my 5'10/165 frame. But when I try it on, it seems like there is way too much air space in the chest/stomach area. I'm only basing this off of the information that I've read regarding too much air space being a bad thing. So I actually don't really know how much is too much.

I've been corresponding with a guy from DRIS, who has been helpful, but it's hard to make a determination through emails and pictures I have sent him of me in the suit.

So I'm basically here to ask wtf should I do?

Thanks for any input.

Can you post pictures?

It appears that this is a laminate suit. In order to have any freedom of motion at all, these suits have to be somewhat roomy, because they do not stretch. You also need enough room under the suit for the thickest undergarments you intend to wear. Laminate suits should not be cut like well-tailored clothing or they will be too restrictive.

Fit in the thighs and legs is probably more critical than torso fit, as well. When you are horizontal, the front portion of the torso will collapse against your body, and the back portion will be held down by your BC and tank. But very large thighs or calves will air-trap and cause instability.

IMG_0220.jpgIMG_0218.jpgIMG_0231.jpgIMG_0227.jpg
pics

Thanks for the input. I have not donned the gear yet with the suit. Plus, the leg area of the suit feels fine, it's just the torso that feels 'too roomy'. But again, I'm just basing that off a 'feeling'. Should I just trust the manufacturer that this size is fine for my frame?

Is there any 'test' to determine if the suit is too big?

looks too big to me.I am 5'11 170lb and use a medium..try it on with proper undergarments.

Have you tried it with the undergarment? There is a SIGNIFICANT difference in fit when I put mine on. I did that deal at DRIS for the suit and undergarment. My fitment is great on the upper body, a little long on the legs, but that is normal for my body type. My calves will keep my feet from filling with air. LOL

I'll find out this eve when I get in the pool.

Hey congratz on getting the drysuit. We should go test it out at Shaw's sometime.

If you recall the last time we went diving together, I had a trilam drysuit and our other buddy had a neoprene drysuit. Hopefully that will give you some reference. Like others have already stated, try wearing your undergarment under then burp the suit.

Do you have rock boots or chuck taylors to go with the drysuit?

1st get the torso folded in the proper way.

And better a bit to big vs to small
But do try with the under garment.

Back
Top Bottom