how big is TOO big for a wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aalbinger

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've recently built a backplate and webbed it up. I have a rec wing from my diverite transpac that I will likely be testing this all out with. Eventually I do plan to purchase a 30# newer wing. For now I'm trying to not spend too much money and reuse what I currently have.

Over the Thanksgiving holiday I'll be diving in Playacar, Mexico and using a single tank. I'm kind of worried that my wing will be awkward and create a lot of drag when it tacos up around the tank.

On the transpac it was bungied down (not exactly like the orange "bondage wing" pictured in the DIR book but still attached on the outer edge to keep it from tacoing so much) and I have eliminated the bungee stuff for attaching it to the backplate.

Is this something I need to be concerned about? Or should I just let it taco up and not worry?

-Andrew

I used RecWings on my ScubaPro X-tek for years in the Florida Keys. It worked perfectly fine, despite the rare jokes from the few scuba professionals knowledgable enough to realize it was unnecessarily large. Eventually I got fed up witht the awkwardness of the bladder and switched to TravelWings.

The bungies saved the day, keeping the deflated wings from flopping around. In tropics diving you rarely need to keep much (if any) air in your BC, so visualize your BC's appearance in that status during your dive. RecWings have what, between 40-50 lbs of lift?

51# i believe for the Rec wing. The wing does look longer and narrower than say the Classic (which i now have an older version of - waiting on the doubles to go with that, in meantime will use my singles wing) - so maybe they arent as bad at taco-ing as other doubles wings? On the website it says they can be used for singles, but are primarily a doubles wing - its overkill for singles for sure.

It's not ideal, but it'll work. I used my Rec Wing in Maui a couple years ago diving single AL80's and it got the job done.

You'll want to re-install the bungee though ... for singles the Rec Wing is a bit on the unstable side without it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If , when at the surface with your BC fully inflated, you begin to see pointed missles with rope attached to their aft ends being hurled at you from boats flying Japanese flags, then your wing is probably too large.

The Kracken:
If , when at the surface with your BC fully inflated, you begin to see pointed missles with rope attached to their aft ends being hurled at you from boats flying Japanese flags, they your wing is probably too large.

Kracken, can't keep it simple can you?? I had to reread that three times to figure out what you were talking about. First I thought it was real missiles, then longline or even plumb bombs. Argh!!

We were recently in Cozumel. My wife and I dove our Rec Wings and BPs and another in our group brought along his CLASSICS. We all reweighted down there as the water was Extra Salty. The fellow was going to be doubling in the Cenotes by the way. Anyhow, the bigger wings weren't really a problem. We had our Rec Wings bungied and the Big Ol' Classic was flying free. The fellow with the classics did rent a steel tank that helped with the bouyancy. Those little AL80's are pretty positive and the end of the dive as I'm sure everyone knows.

I love my Rec Wings.

DrDuktayp

Gotta keep ya guessing, Arch !!!
Love mental games, since I'm a mental case . . .

FWIW, I use a RecWing with an E8-130 and 19 cu.ft. pony while diving dry, and I haven't had a problem with the taco effect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom