How bad is washing a wetsuit in a washing machine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
TL;DR: is it so bad if I wash my 5 mm wetsuit in a washing machine?

I'm not asking whether it's good or bad: I perfectly know that it's not good. What I'd really like to know is: how bad is it? E.g.: if my wetsuit is expected to last at least 10 years, if I use the washing machine regularly, how will be the new life expectation? 5 years (good for me)? Just 1 year (bad for me)?

Long story: for a few weeks, I've been doing a terrible thing: washing my wetsuit in a washing machine and then putting it in the dryer. I've done so because I've been suggested by a person that I though was an expert.

The result? My wetsuit now is no longer as adherent as it was, and now cold water enters while diving. My bad. Lesson learned.

I'm almost sure that what damaged my wetsuit so quickly is the dryer, so I won't use it again. However, given that using a washer machine is sooo fast, comfortable, clean and hygienic, is it that bad if I continue to use it? (With cold/warm water.)

Is that bad if I use the washer machine every week? (I do not like wearing dirty clothes.)

Also: I do not have a room in my house where to put my wetsuit to dry far away from the sun (I do not want to wet the floor). Is it that bad if I put my wetsuit to dry in the sun?

Last edited:
I would say it was the dryer for sure that has damaged your suit.

I've washed a suit in the machine a few times, but ever would I think to put it in a dryer.

Personally, just get some McNett Wetsuit cleaner, get a cheap water spray thingy (like to spray inside house plants with) put 1/10 ratio to water to solution, wash wetsuit in the bath/shower - spray and rinse off and hang out to dry. If its bleeding hot outside, hang it in the shade. Neoprene isn't that happy about UV.

I'm also sure it was the dryer that damaged the suit.

As for the washing machine, I'd say you'd be ok with a front loader that has a gentle tumbling action - cool wash, but would definitely stay away from a traditional top-loader with a central agitator.

Yes, it's bad to dry it in the sun. Apart from the UV it will overheat.

We wash our wetsuits, hooded vests, booties, and gloves in the washer on delicate, with a bunch of baking soda and a splash of detergent after every boat trip. There may be a little pre-mature wear, but I don't think it is that bad, and it really helps the defunktification process. Also tend to hang up outside under our balcony. This does allow some late afternoon sun but not a huge concern of mine.

Hang it up in the shower, or even on the shower rod, put some towels down if worried about dripping on the floor. I do that all the time. If it's not completely dry by the time I'm ready to shower myself the next morning, then I'll put it in the sink until I'm showered up and then hang it back in the shower until it's done. If it needs more air circulation to get it completely dry, I'll hang it in a door frame to a room that doesn't get steady foot traffic.

Oh yes, and front loader washer on gentle cycle without a heavy soap should be OK. Wouldn't put in a top load agitator (though I did do that a time or two before the front load arrived, but only when quite desperate and removed the suit dripping wet before it hit the spin cycle). don't put your wetsuit in the dryer, no.

I wash both my wet suit and dry suit in my washer at least once per year in cold water with detergent and fabric softener. A extra cold water rinse at the end. Then hang and dry as usual. That is hanging in my cellar with a dehumidifier running. Never hurt any suit I've owned, I still have an old Parkway 1/4" that I washed and used in NC this year. That suit is 25 years old.

I throw it in the washer. Lay it over a sawhorse in the garage to drip dry. Been doing it this way for years.

No problemo.

I would NEVER consider putting my wetsuit in a dryer. But then I hang it out in the sun and that's bad enough... mine are lucky to last a year.

I wash mine in the washing machine with Woolite on delicate or gentle. Sometimes I soak with sink the stink first. I use cold or warm/cool water. I never dry it in the dryer. It looks brand new after probably 50 dives.
i think the dryer is probably the culprit. Or, the spin cycle of the machine, maybe both.
I hang mine in the shade.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom