How are these Blue Reef Flex LP hoses compared to Miflex LP hoses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnnyscience

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm wanting to switch my rigs to all Miflex type hoses and seen the Blue Reef hoses are on sale at LP.

Blue Reef Low Pressure Flex Hose

Does anyone know how they compare in quality to the standard Miflex LP hoses?

If they are high quality I'd like to pick them up while they're on sale.

Thanks.

Im going to take a guess given the price that they are manufactured somewhere in Asia, which in itself may mean nothing. The Miflex hoses have been certified to EN250 which means they have undergone some fairly stringent testing to meet the EN250 requirements, a supposed testament to quality. I imagine the ones you are referencing have not.The LP Miflex hoses have shown to be reliable. The Miflex HP have not. I have all Miflex LP hoses and have had for several years and have not experience any issues. I have no knowledge of the "blue reef" hoses. Sorry couldn't be of more help.

I'm not sure where they are made, I tried looking, but theyre only that cheap because they're on sale.

But you bring up a good point. No reason in trying to steer from the tried & true Miflex to save $100.

I'll get Miflex for sure.

Thanks.

No offense to buddhasummer, but I'm not convinced. I have a hard time believing that a company would sell a hose of poor quality (in our litigious society it would be crazy). I don't see a need to pay more for Miflex hoses simply because they were the first on the market. Is there anyone with firsthand knowledge of the Blue Reef hoses that could comment on them?

I had a Blue Reef braided HP hose briefly... it was made in Taiwan. I didn't like that - I have seen quality control issues with other Taiwanese scuba gear - or the look of it (the swaged fittings and braiding looked 'cheap') and I gave it away. Not to say that there's definitely anything wrong with them or that the Taiwanese are incapable of producing goods of good quality, but that was the decision I made. Regarding being on sale, things are usually on sale because nobody will buy them at the regular price

No offense to buddhasummer, but I'm not convinced. I have a hard time believing that a company would sell a hose of poor quality (in our litigious society it would be crazy). I don't see a need to pay more for Miflex hoses simply because they were the first on the market. Is there anyone with firsthand knowledge of the Blue Reef hoses that could comment on them?

None taken. However please re read my post as that wasnt what I said.

To add, generally hoses are hoses the difference often lies with the quality of the fittings. All hoses are not created equal. I have seen some hoses with very poor crimping. I was looking at some Miflex esque hoses in Australia I cannot remember the brand name but they were from Taiwan and the crimpings looked like someone had used pliers to fit to the hose. It did not look very secure at all.

Do a search on Miflex HP hoses, as mentioned in my post, these are of poor quality with many reports of failure. Yet they continued selling despite being aware of the issue.

Miflex LP hoses have been on the market for some years and their reliability has been proven. I bought not because they were the first on the market but because they had added benifits and many good reviews. I bought the Miflex HP due their LP reputation. I made a mistake and so switched the HP.

Last edited:
I had a Blue Reef braided HP hose briefly... it was made in Taiwan. I didn't like that - I have seen quality control issues with other Taiwanese scuba gear - or the look of it (the swaged fittings and braiding looked 'cheap') and I gave it away. Not to say that there's definitely anything wrong with them or that the Taiwanese are incapable of producing goods of good quality, but that was the decision I made. Regarding being on sale, things are usually on sale because nobody will buy them at the regular price

to a diver you didnt like I hope:wink:

Let's just say to a diver with different priorities to mine... actually I don't know if he's even used it yet, I gave it to him months ago

Back
Top Bottom