How are the jetties at St Andrew’s PCB ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did it September 6th. The barge was gone and you swam out to the rocks and over them. With all the rain this week vis might not be so great

Has anyone done this lately? We are going down to PCB to hang out on my dads boat next weekend. Also any comments on current visibility would be appreciated. (We will take his boat out for some diving)
We did end up doing a guided shore dive on the jetties with Panama City Diving over the Memorial Day weekend. Viz then was not great, but don't know what it is like currently. We did some boat dives with them also, and viz was bad for them too that weekend. We still had fun, and I'd say they are a good dive op. We've also gone out with Dive Locker in PCB before, and they were also a good dive op.

This Facebook group can also be helpful: Gulf Coast Dive Society . Someone posted 25-30 ft. of viz about a week ago.

Completely closing off the jetties seems to have caused some ecological / environmental issue.

when we were in September, the water in the pool area was completely red like koolaid. Visibility was less than a foot. It appeared as though there was stagnation promoting some sort of algee growth. It was not the red tide.

they were undiveable last weekend - there was some red tide around and the visibility was basically zero. Did get two decent dives on boat in before the front rolled in.

I did notice they had closed in the kiddie pool as we drove by in a dive boat. I would imagine it would make the water a little more stagnant.

It's a shame because you have to go through there to get to one of the better dive sites inPCB, i.e. outside along the jetties.

Any updates? Might be in the area in a few weeks?

I have mostly entered on slack to incoming tide by doing a beach entry (unless too rough) and descending as I rounded the the end of the jetty. I would then exit through the gap to the kiddie pool. Is this no longer possible? Where would I exit now?

James

You have to swim way to the left to get past the end of the inland side of the jetty. Once you are out, you have to either swim all the way back or go all the way around the gulf end of the jetty.

since there is no longer a cut preventing people from accessing the jetty, you are also now subject to fishing lines all along the jetty.

You have to swim way to the left to get past the end of the inland side of the jetty. Once you are out, you have to either swim all the way back or go all the way around the gulf end of the jetty.

since there is no longer a cut preventing people from accessing the jetty, you are also now subject to fishing lines all along the jetty.
Hmm, I go in usually on the Gulf end, swim out, and descend and then drift inbound to the cut and exit. So, now I would have to drift much further and walk back up the beach I guess?

Are divers still using this area?

How is the other (east) side via kayak?

Google Earth does not seem to show an update.

James

A lot longer swim depending on the current.

People are still diving it.

Never done the other side (shell Island).

We are going to be there for Thanksgiving and will be checking it out.

A lot longer swim depending on the current.

People are still diving it.

Never done the other side (shell Island).

We are going to be there for Thanksgiving and will be checking it out.
I tried snorkeling the jetties on the Shell Island side. No fishing lines, more schooling fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom