How are gas prices and inflation going to affect your diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our prices and wages are basically tied to CPI. Both have risen twice in the last 12 months, so no discernible relative change for me so far.

On 7 June (Post #108) I commented on my two options for traveling from SW Ontario (about 60miles or 100km) west of Toronto to Owens Valley California. Since then, gas prices have dropped significantly, but the chaos at Toronto's Pearson Airport (YYZ) has not improved. Over the summer, YYZ has consistently ranked as one of the worst airports in the world when considering wait times, (on both arrival & departure), lost luggage and other factors.

Flying is nice and it is a lot faster, but as they say, the juice isn't worth the squeeze right now. I will definitely be driving out to Owens Valley, even though it will take about 4 days each way.

I am happy that gas prices are on the way down. I hope that trend continues.

On 7 June (Post #108) I commented on my two options for traveling from SW Ontario (about 60miles or 100km) west of Toronto to Owens Valley California. Since then, gas prices have dropped significantly, but the chaos at Toronto's Pearson Airport (YYZ) has not improved. Over the summer, YYZ has consistently ranked as one of the worst airports in the world when considering wait times, (on both arrival & departure), lost luggage and other factors.

Flying is nice and it is a lot faster, but as they say, the juice isn't worth the squeeze right now. I will definitely be driving out to Owens Valley, even though it will take about 4 days each way.

I am happy that gas prices are on the way down. I hope that trend continues.

After the long lines and chaos flying between O’Hare and Cancun earlier this month, I’m really looking forward to my 2 day each way road trip to FL cave country at Christmas.

Somewhat different, but as a mostly retired guy, the change in the stock market certainly has a bearing on trip planning. Watching $250K vapourize is a strong motivator for local diving...

I'm guessing the $110 is a hidden gas surcharge on top of the $150. I've never seen Aggressor charge for either of these two things.

Oh well, TnC this weekend, can't wait.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220825-085335_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220825-085335_Drive.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 40
Somewhat different, but as a mostly retired guy, the change in the stock market certainly has a bearing on trip planning. Watching $250K vapourize is a strong motivator for local diving...

And you have VERY nice local diving!

As yet it has not had much effect on my diving. Onsite air refills have gone from £5 to £6 and the post dive pub meal has gone up from about £15 to £20. Anyone diving on open circuit helium will almost certainly have to switch to rebreather or gas costs will be astronomical. Shortly electricity prices in UK will double and this is bound to push up all diving costs further.

You have us beat. We drove the 2400 miles round trip from VA to Key West earlier this month and will be doing it again in November rather than fly. That says everything one needs to know about our opinion of flying lately. We too would rather spend 40hrs in a car than attempt to run that gauntlet in a terribly run glorified bus service.

Back
Top Bottom