How accurate is GoPro's depth rating?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tphelps

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Aloha,

So according to Go Pro, their housings are rated to 60m/197 feet. Has anyone taken theirs deeper than this without flooding?
I'll be doing more trimix CCR dives in the future now and want to looking into the integrity of their depth rating. I'm looking into the Golem housings but they almost cost as much as a new GoPro itself. Took the camera to 190' yesterday with no problems and was going to take it to 200' on a TMX dive tomorrow. Any input (I know this guy who knew this guy, who knew this guy, who knew this guy's cousin...) would be appreciated!

*Side note* I'm a certified Tec diver and I do not mean to advocate any deep dives related to this subject. Stay within the limits of your training please.

Mahalo,

-Tyler

To MODs that see this: maybe this thread would be good for the tek-to-tek forum too??

From this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro-video/466325-gopro-hero-3-flooded-2.html

ajduplessis
user-offline.png

Registered
stars-5-0.gif

Life is a lesson, you learn it
when you through!

Join DateJan 2010LocationcenturionPosts1,889DivesI'm a Fish!

Nothing wrong with the design or housing. Have dived them 300ft without issues. Others in our group to 450ft!!!!!!!​

Can't speak to the gopro housing but have had the golem housings to 200meters without issue.

I've had mine to 200'-250' probably 15-20 times over 250' at least 8-10 times and never had a problem. I turn it on at the beginning of the dive and off either on deco or at the surface though, so don't know how the buttons function at depth.
I was going to bu a deep housing, but couldn't get it before my trip so just used the GoPro housing. Now I don't think I'll bother with the deep housing since it cost the same as the GoPro. If I flood it, I'll buy another :)

cool, thanks guys!

---------- Post added October 16th, 2013 at 03:05 AM ----------

Can't speak to the gopro housing but have had the golem housings to 200meters without issue.

Beast! OC or CCR? if rebreather, which unit?

The housing for the Hero2 and Hero3 is rated to 197', but the housing for the new Hero3+ is only rated for 131'. I don't know why they made that decision, but I don't think the size and weight lost was worth the effort.

The housing for the Hero2 and Hero3 is rated to 197', but the housing for the new Hero3+ is only rated for 131'. I don't know why they made that decision, but I don't think the size and weight lost was worth the effort.

It is, however, nice that the Hero3+ fits inside the Hero3 case. The Hero3+ and Hero3 cameras are actually the exact same size. This allows that you can use the Hero3+ in the housing rated to 197'. Also, there are no red filters out yet for the Hero3+ housing that I've been able to find.

Also, the gasket of the the new housing is quite a bit thinner which probably contributes to the lower depth rate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom