How accurate do you guys find DiveBuddy.com for their weight calculator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All right, this is weird.

I switched it to metric and put in my weight that way, and I got a much more accurate reading. Then I went back and forth several times, and the reading were now more accurate. In an earlier post I wrote that it said a student diver in the pool would need 17 pounds. I just did it again, after going back and forth several times, and it say the students would need 8 pounds. Now that I have toggled back and forth, it is much more accurate.

I think there must be a lot of "flex" in the Dive Buddy (DB) calculations, and different body shapes, sizes, and gear difference give some divers very close weight numbers, and others are far off. For example, I have a new 5mm Bare Reactive wetsuit, a HOG TBCS bp/w with soft plate, and positively buoyant fins (all floaty), and the DB computation (10# +/1) for fresh water is accurate. I could dive with 9#, but choose to dive with 11#, so I am happy with the calculator. For me, it works equally well for salt water and other wetsuit configurations. Other divers obviously consider it crap.

All right, this is weird.

I switched it to metric and put in my weight that way, and I got a much more accurate reading. Then I went back and forth several times, and the reading were now more accurate. In an earlier post I wrote that it said a student diver in the pool would need 17 pounds. I just did it again, after going back and forth several times, and it say the students would need 8 pounds. Now that I have toggled back and forth, it is much more accurate.
It made no difference for me. I toggled it back and forth several times and it would show I need 13 lbs. each time wearing a 3mm wetsuit with an Al80 tank in fresh water. I use 8 lbs. and sometimes feel a little heavy with that. But the 13 lbs. is down 2 from the 15 I had reported earlier in this thread it told me I needed.

I put in 195lbs, advanced, AL80, skin, salt, and it gave me 13lbs. i used 6 in Cozumel last Jan and was maybe a bit overweighted.

I weight 86kg and dive tech shorts and 1mm top and use 2kg with Scubapro Hydros and no weights for Apeks BPW with SS backplate and single tank adaptor. The hydros is neutrally bouyant and the SS Bb probably adds 1.2kg. This is saltwatet. My BF% is circa 20%.

My challenge is that i will be using 3mm wetsuit and in freshwater this month so i checkef dive buddy but it was really high.

A calculator with a few more factors would be helpful like equipment weight etc.

You would need to drop about 2.5 kg when moving to fresh water, all else being the same (based on average seawater density). Conveniently, a 3mm suit adds about 2-2.5 kg of lift at the safety stop. As such, I would try your normal lead as a first cut and adjust based on a weight check at the end of the first dive. (Purge tank down to about 35 bar to test, but tell the DM you'll be doing this, so he doesn't freak out.)

It had me overweighted by 4lbs in a 3mil freshwater, and spot on with a 7mil fresh water. In saltwater it had me underweighted by roughly 6lbs with shorts and a rash guard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom