How about Southern Leyte??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bearteacher.tw

Contributor
Reaction score
I plan to dive with Peter around the dive sites in Southern Leyte on early Febuary next year.

Could anyone provide me some reviews about diving in Southern Leyte?

Thanks.

?
bearteacher.tw:
I plan to dive with Peter around the dive sites in Southern Leyte on early Febuary next year.

Could anyone provide me some reviews about diving in Southern Leyte?

Thanks.

bearteacher.tw:
Two years ago I stayed at the Blue Depth Dive Resort, owned and run by Claas Linder and his wife. [+63 (919) 828-6097]

Nothing fancy, but comfortable and a reasonable price. Good people and good food. Careful of the urchins out front of the resort when you are getting out of dive boats after dark! I haven't been back for a while so I suggest you search internet for some resorts to contact. There are quite a few small places owned by Europeans in the area.

Another source for information may be Joy at Ocean Colors. [Joy del Rosario (inquire1@oceancolors.com)]. She usually is up to date on good places or knows who to ask.

Southern Leyte has some of the best diving in the Philippines IMHO. The provincial governor is pro-environment and there are not a lot of tourist so the reefs are in excellent shape.

I was there in August '02 and dived with Peter's. He has a simple resort and there's not much to do in Padre Burgos (the local town) but the diving is really good. When I was there he didn't have much rental gear so make sure to take what you need.

You are in luck, the Whale shark seasons runs from January to May (I think) so you'll be there at just the right time. I was there iat the wrong time to see them.

There is shore diving from Peter's but the best diving is across Sogod Bay and around Limasawa Island. Sogod Bay is quite deep and gets a good tidal excahge so there is plenty of nutrition for the reefs and fish.

This is one place I really want to get back to and I may try to sneak a trip in during December.

Enjoy Southern Leyte and safe diving,
Drew

One additinoal historical note, Limaswawa Island is where Magellan first landed in the Philippines during his fleet's circumnavigation of the globe.

Drew

I would agree with the 'Happybuddha', I was there this last Feb.! It's a laid back little spot, there's very good diving at the Napantaw Sanctuary. I also enjoyed the shore diving, especially at night. Don't depend on seeing whales though, that's hit and miss! Althoug I had my own gear, they did have rentals there! Have a good time!!!

Nemo:
I would agree with the 'Happybuddha', I was there this last Feb.! It's a laid back little spot, there's very good diving at the Napantaw Sanctuary. I also enjoyed the shore diving, especially at night. Don't depend on seeing whales though, that's hit and miss! Althoug I had my own gear, they did have rentals there! Have a good time!!!

Did you see whale sharks?

No!! Apparently they were not around a the time (ie. no one had seen any in a while), so it was suggested we not spend a lot of time looking for them (the bay is quite large)!!

I think if you ask your question on Leyte in a week or two, on the PHILIPPINE PARADISE DIVERS Forum (joining the rest of the ScubaBoard Clubs) you will get more feed-back.

TomvdH:
I think if you ask your question on Leyte in a week or two, onthe PHILIPPINE PARADISE DIVERS Forum you will get more feed-back.

Could you tell me the website of this forum?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom