How about some comics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheNitroxinator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What the heck, lets get some comics together. Maybe we can eventually get a scubaboard calendar put together or something. This one's for October and the opening of lobster season if it ever comes to that...

I put this together while the rainstorms were coming down at the end of last year and the beginning of this year. It wasn't inspired by Open Water. The friends I dove with say it never happened. Did I just dive too deep and have a narcosis induced hallucination? But if that's true, where'd by butt go?

22298whosMeasuringWho4.jpg

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/14087/cat/855/page/1

TheNitroxinator:
What the heck, lets get some comics together. Maybe we can eventually get a scubaboard calendar put together or something. This one's for October and the opening of lobster season if it ever comes to that...

I put this together while the rainstorms were coming down at the end of last year and the beginning of this year. It wasn't inspired by Open Water. The friends I dove with say it never happened. Did I just dive too deep and have a narcosis induced hallucination? But if that's true, where'd by butt go?

Wanna work together on that? Maybe we can get some suggestions or a story line going.

I'm a bit strapped for time, especially in terms of artwork, since I'm regrettably not a full time artist; in terms of a calendar, I'd be looking at having something in the year 2010 if I were to do something on my own. Besides, that would have everything with the same style (assuming my style didn't migrate). I figured I'd have to work with other people if anything was ever going to come out.

In terms of "concepts", one would be to try to have something topically related to each calender month. The other is to have something that is simply consistent throughout.

The attachment was something I wound up doing for an airbrush class (well its supposed to be an animation "background" class, I went a bit beyond a background). The Ecofidels Strike Back, I could build up a complete comic book on this, I wound up thinking up a background story to in filling out my initial idea.

However, I am going to change directions on the concept with this one - in the SCUBA instruction courses, one "connector" is to relate scuba diving with astronauts. My next piece is going to be a Southern California diving themed around the space thing (yeah, more of the fish and things in space suits and bubbles, with some kelp and a sunball shining through the kelp). This is a concept that could be carried out for a number of different diving locales.

I think it's a good idea but did you mean comic as in comic strip in Sunday paper (ex: Dilbert, Far Side etc) or comic as in Marvel/DC (Spiderman, Superman etc)?

I think a weekly comic would be nice to have on the website here. A "one shot" comic per day (365 a year) seems like it would be alot of work. Or did you mean 12 big one shot (like your whales in space one)?

I think a weekly comic would be nice to have on the website here.

When I posted this, it was one of the first threads in this forum. I was hoping some others would start posting things just so there'd be some artwork being displayed. As far as "comic" is concerned, I was thinking mostly in terms of "The Far Side". I did the initial picture as an 18x24 for practicing with an airbrush, so its more of a painting that was done in a "comics" style. The second was done for an animation background class that I've been taking just so I can practice with my airbrush, again 18x24 and its more of a painting in a comic style. These were the "diving" ones that I've done, I didn't put up the "Revelations, Dr. Seuss Style", with a Dr. Seuss architecture with lava and the now missing 4 horsemen of the apocalypse and the Lorax hanging off a tree-branch. Ah, to have more time to do artworik, I'd be "certified" in a completely different way than diving (how could I paint in a straightjacket, I wonder).

Here's the Scuba is like being an Astronaut concept realized. Now that its done, I have several ideas about how I could have done it better. Oh well, live and learn. I have other things to finish off, anyone who wishes has my leave to embellish on the concept.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom