Houston Scuba Academy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcohen1021

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Sad - nice folks... Booked both my Flower Gardens trips through them.

HSA_Closing.jpg

They used to run a LOT of Flower Garden trips back when they were Scuba Houston and HSA, back when Mike Price was around.

They used to run a LOT of Flower Garden trips back when they were Scuba Houston and HSA, back when Mike Price was around.

It is sad to see another long term SCUBA Retailer close.

Mike Price ran a very good store-back in the day.

Houston Scuba Academy is going out with style and class.

does anyone know exactly reason why HSA is closing its doors so quickly?

My wife did most of her open water and bought her gear there in mid-December, and no mention of this at the time.
Feels like the floor has been rip from under us.
We didn't find out about this until she got an email Jan.18.

No clue but it's not unusual. Sometimes businesses are faced with something that the owners know will be ultimately fatal, like losing a lease or license or lawsuit. Usually businesses will have made the decision some time in advance to make preparations for legal filings, disposing debts, distributing assets, etc. Thing is, they generally keep quiet about that because if employees and customers knew the business was closing, they would get out earlier.

Yes. It’s sad to see HSA going out of business. It’s last day is this Wednesday (1/31/18). I had several trips to Flower Garden through them.

I went there last night. Ended up buying fins, boots & gloves at 50% off. There are still plenty of them there.

I hope you'll bare with this, more of a rant, but I need to get this out regarding HSA.

Problem is they are leaving my wife without any way to complete her SSI without being force to repay the entire fee all over again at another shop.

She spent close to $900 on class/gear in December so it feels shifty as hell that they'd do this with no mention of store closing.
But I get it, if they said something they'd lose business even sooner maybe.

She signed up for class Nov.27, took class and pool portions Dec2-9. Then just before the Dec 16 open water she got ill (ear infection) and couldn't complete.
The HSA instruction said she'd have up to a year to finish, no problem.

No notice was given about shop until Jan15, to say they were closing in 2 weeks.

So now she's out being able to finish her SSI open water portion for her certification.
We have the referral paperwork from HSA, but now she'll have to pony up hundreds more $ to rent tank/BC, and another SSI instructor / shop's fee.

Steve, there at HSA basically said we're up ****'s creek. Real nice way to treat customer and new diver. No attempt to make things right, or partial refund.
They could have at the very least informed us why exactly they closed, and so quickly.

That blows. Maybe if you call around some shop will make a special deal for you in the interests of goodwill. Whover did that would probably earn your business for future gear and continued education.

Or what about the previous instructor? Maybe he/she will find a new shop and lobby on your behalf. I know a lot of instructors and few are in it for the money. Last thing they want to see is a student get turned off on scuba.

A member posted the news on our club site on Jan. 6th. Not sure when the earliest date it was known.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom