Houston Bound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveN2o2

Registered
Reaction score
Looking for some diving info on the Houston/Galveston area. A pending career move may send me and my wife to the Clear Lake area. How's the Gulf for diving? Average depth, vis, $$$ for boat dives, etc...

Any lakes, springs, caverns, or caves?

Any info would be great.

SteveN2o2:
Looking for some diving info on the Houston/Galveston area. A pending career move may send me and my wife to the Clear Lake area. How's the Gulf for diving? Average depth, vis, $$$ for boat dives, etc...

Any lakes, springs, caverns, or caves?

Any info would be great.

As far as local diving there are a couple of places to dive in.
Blue Lagoon: www.bluelagoonscuba.com
Blue lagoon is used a lot for Open Water Training and Vis can range from 1ft to 30ft depending on weather conditions and how many students have stirred up the bottom. :wink: Max depth for Lagoon 1 is around 28 feet if you dig a hole and bury your computer. Also becasue of the pH of the water there aren't any fish, except for some occational Darter Fish.

Twin Lakes: www.scubapark.net
Twin Lakes is a nice alternative to driving to Blue Lagoon and it offers one thing Blue Lagoon does not...fish. It also has a real Thermoclines. Vis is around 10-20 feet depending on which end of the lake you are on and weather.

As far as the Gulf, a favorite hot spot is the Flower Gardens: www.seasportstravel.com/FlowerGardens.htm
www.seasportstravel.com/Gulf Diving faq's.pdf
In my humble opinion it as close to Cozumel as you can get without the price tag. There are trips all the time. The second link has some really usefull information about the boats and dives. Price for the weekend can range $300-$350...from what I have experienced.

For a listing of some of the other sites the State has to offer try here:
http://www.wwdive.com/index.cfm?section=548

Welcome to Texas...that is, if you come! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom