Houston Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quarrior

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey All,

I'm planning on going to Houston for training in NDT (Non-destructive Testing) with a school called the Ocean Corporation.

So, I have a couple of questions for you brilliant folks.

1. How's the diving in the Houston area? Most likely shore diving since I'm not really going to have much $$ until I get employment.

2. Anyone know much about Ocean Corp or the wisdom of choosing
NDT as a new career?

Thanks

Brian

There is not really any shore diving (salt water) in this area unless you like diving where you can't see past your eyelids. The seaweed is really horrible right now too. Twin Lakes in Manvel or Blue Lagoon are the best local diving. There is a fee to get in but it's much cheeper than a boat trip to the rigs (about the only other option).

Brian, couple of local holes to get wet in are Blue Lagoon, Twin Lakes, and Tiki Lake. Cost range from $10-$15/day to dive, not Cozumel...but not bad for mid week diving. Several dive shops have charters to either rigs or the Flower Gardens, the Gardens are an increditable dive and I would highly suggest it, course you will need funds for it...it runs $330-$380 for 3 day boat (2 day dive) trip.

As far as the Ocean Corp is concerned, I have heard some very good things about it, and from what I hear it is one of the major suppliers of commercial divers and NDTs in the region. Hope you enjoy it!

I had a buddy who went through the ocean corp many years ago and said it was a great school! He was employed after graduation and made a career out of it for a long time. The only bad thing he had to say was that it took the fun out of diving. I have also considered going to the ocean corp using my GI bill. Also if you can afford $199.00
My LDS has rig trips planed through out the year. PM me if you want the dates.

If you have a whole day I would defentaly reccomend driving to Lake Travis and diving from the private side of windy point. Lake Travis is not any cleared than the other destinations, but I accually has depth, I believe it bottoms out in the 200's. Make sure though if you plan on diving deep that you bring a light because it starts getting dark around 80' and if I remember, someone correct me if i'm wrong, around 100 its pitch black. There are a few sunken boats and what not, its a typical Texas lake site.

lackingcreativity:
If you have a whole day I would defentaly reccomend driving to Lake Travis and diving from the private side of windy point. Lake Travis is not any cleared than the other destinations, but I accually has depth, I believe it bottoms out in the 200's. Make sure though if you plan on diving deep that you bring a light because it starts getting dark around 80' and if I remember, someone correct me if i'm wrong, around 100 its pitch black. There are a few sunken boats and what not, its a typical Texas lake site.

Pitch black and low vis are common here. As for my light, not a problem, it goes on every dive regardless of vis. The light is part of my weight system.

Any idea how deep the boats are?

Thanks

Brian

Quarrior:
Pitch black and low vis are common here. As for my light, not a problem, it goes on every dive regardless of vis. The light is part of my weight system.

Any idea how deep the boats are?

Thanks

Brian

Here is a link to an underwater map on the windy point website: http://www.windypointpark.com/underwatermap.htm . You can also check out the windy point website for other infromation about the park, I just included that link because for some reason I had a difficult time location the map, but that might just be me. :11ztongue
Oh, one more thing, if you ever need a dive buddy for one of these trips I'd be glad to go.

lackingcreativity:
Here is a link to an underwater map on the windy point website: http://www.windypointpark.com/underwatermap.htm . You can also check out the windy point website for other infromation about the park, I just included that link because for some reason I had a difficult time location the map, but that might just be me. :11ztongue
Oh, one more thing, if you ever need a dive buddy for one of these trips I'd be glad to go.

I apologize for that face. I have no idea what the hell it is doing!

Looks like the Houston move is off. Got turned down for the retraining by the VA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom