Housing Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

per the email I just got from olypus:

The O-rings need to be stored in a grease free, dirt free plastic bag when travelling and flying. Please make sure to grease them before replacing them on the camera.

Since I just got a 6130.1 for the Oly C4040 I checked with Ikelite. They recommend the O-ring in the zip loc bag method as well as closing and locking the housing. I specifically asked about locking the housing without an O-ring and they said yes.

Ronsch once bubbled...
Since I just got a 6130.1 for the Oly C4040 I checked with Ikelite. They recommend the O-ring in the zip loc bag method as well as closing and locking the housing. I specifically asked about locking the housing without an O-ring and they said yes.

Makes sense. Without an o-ring, the door won't seal. I just like to leave it open a tad and cushioned so the two sides don't 'rub and chafe together'. Probably totally unfounded but leaving it unlocked and padded doesn't hurt anything and it makes me feel better! :rofL:

docmartin once bubbled...
thanks fll diver! just removed the o-ring from wp-dc300. it was not so easy though without damaging it with the o-ring picker. i was just assuming you could not /should not remove it because the manual does not mention it under maintenance and says to contact customer service for o-ring replacement which sounded to me like they expect you to send it in. as far as storage, they also state to store the camera open so the o-ring does not get squeezed. that sounds like they assume you do not take it out to store separately. however, i will definitely keep it separate from now on. just seems less stress on the o-ring.

Are you sure it wasn't in your case manual? My manual talks about removing the o-ring and NOT using a tool that can damage it. The manual says to use your fingers, and has a diagram that shows how to squeeze it to make it pop out.

Here's a good link on Canon's Japanese site that has some good tips on maintenance as well as picture taking.

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/uwphoto/index-e.html

Marc

I found that my DAN card (much thinner than a credit card, but not sharp edged like a platic laminated one) was a pretty useful tool when it came to removing my o-ring for the first time. Just my two cents worth...

Dave

Ruu once bubbled...
I found that my DAN card (much thinner than a credit card, but not sharp edged like a platic laminated one) was a pretty useful tool when it came to removing my o-ring for the first time.
I use a guitar pick to remove o-rings. They're thin, flexible, with rounded corners. I keep a few in my save-a-dive kit.

Hello,

If we're talking storage from day to day between dives then I leave my stuff on the dive deck, if a live-aboard. If we're talking months then I pull all rings and wrap the housing in a thick towel and place in my 20gallon rince tank.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom