Housing Recommendations: Sony A7III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KMScuba

New
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey All,

It's time for me to take my underwater photography to the next level. I've been a photographer for the last 4 years and diving for the last 6ish. have tried the GoPro, Olympus, SeaLife and various models of each but I just can't get the kind of quality out of them that I know I can with my A7iii

Can anyone provide recommendations on housings for the A7iii. Certainly want to get feedback from this community before making such a large investment.

Thanks,
Kyle

SeaFrogs:
  • Least expensive option by far ($439 without ports).
  • Fairly feature complete - you get access to all the controls, there's a flash trigger and a vacuum port, etc.
  • Restricted selection of lenses and ports, but it covers the basics - you can shoot macro with 90mm and wide-angle with 16-35mm in 8" port or 28-60mm with flat port + Nauticam WWL-1 (not WWL-1B, that will not fit).
  • Own-brand vacuum valve is garbage, but can use Leak Sentinel.
  • EVF eyepiece is useless, shoot with the screen only.
  • Restricted to recreational depths.
  • Largest available dome is 8 inches, which, by my measurements, is closer to 175mm,
  • No extension rings.
  • No magnifying viewfinder adapter.
Ikelite
  • Mid-price option ($1795 without ports).
  • Ergonomics are possibly even worse than SeaFrogs; just a big rectangular box.
  • Better lens compatibility than SeaFrogs, but still only 8" as the largest dome, although you can get a Zen 230mm dome in Ikelite mount.
  • No fiber optic ports, only electrical sync for strobes.
  • 45 degree magnifying viewfinder available.
  • 60m/200' depth rating
Nauticam
  • Eye-wateringly expensive, especially after the recent price hike ($4127 without ports), but since your body is a few years old now, and Nauticam is popular, you may be able to find a used article at a significant discount.
  • Best-in-class ergonomics - basically, Nauticam's design philosophy seems to be about placing the controls where they're most accessible to the shooter, then figuring out how to actuate the camera buttons and dials; this is great to use, but very complicated and fiddly to service.
  • Best selection of lenses and ports, including water-contact optics.
Aquatica, Isotta - Nauticam's cheaper cousins; the former from Canada, the latter from Italy.

Subal, Seacam - European manufacturers, priced similarly to Nauticam, pros and cons are minor.

Easydive -
  • Universal housings with electronic controls, i.e. instead of mechanical linkages to the camera buttons and dials, there's a USB cable that plugs into the camera, and the housing acts as a remote and/or a WiFi access point that the camera connects to.
  • Older models tended to suffer from control lag, but I believe this is no longer the case with what's currently available.
  • Compatible with dozens of camera models from different manufacturers, including future models, in the same housing, although minor hardware swaps such as mounting plate adapters are still needed.
  • All the controls are buttons, no dials, so you need to page through lists in order to set aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc.
  • If you're a serious technical diver, these housings can go to 150 meters, although glass domes (not acrylic) tend to be limited to less than that.
Keep in mind that taking a full-frame camera underwater, you're likely to spend $5-10k or more on lenses, ports, adapters, strobes and various other accessories, regardless of which housing you pick.

I have experience with both Nauticam (a6500) and Ikelite (A7C). Nauticam is leagues better than Ikelite. I am actually trying to sell an Ikelite housing now.

The set-up of Nauticam is so much better and frustrations free. There is a reason why it's so much more expensive, and it's worth it.

I use a Sony A6500 with a Nauticam housing and can also vouch for Nauticam. Their housings, adapters and ports are top notch. They offer a wide variety of water contact optics and nice accessories like 45 and 90 degree viewfinders. But, yeah, it's expensive. I built up my rig over a couple years with new and slightly used components.

Check out Marelux. A few Nauticam engineers started their own company after leaving, so it's Nauticam build quality but without the $$$ Nauticam pricing. They have some really cool products and their snoot is all the rage if you're into macro.

Isotta makes an impression from the red - sturdy just had issues getting the domes on and off they seal in very hard. not easy for one handed use the trigger is quite a reach back.

Nauticam if you have the money. Nauticam housings are as easy to operate as the camera is when in your hand, sometimes easier. Total control, durability and service costs $$$.

An issue with all Sony cameras (as a fellow Sony user) is the darn always on preflash TTL. It would be nice if Sony would give a manual flash control with no preflash. Like Olympus, Nikon and Canon.

So, I am going to suggest OM and Nauticam and keep your Sony for above water. In fact as I sit here packing my Nauticam NA6400 up to send to the mothership for service I contemplate how I can talk my wife into the Nauticam NAG7Xiii. Thus far she has just given me the LOOK :crying:. Why, well, manual flash control, no preflash, small housing and X-sync to 1/2000 second.

Not sure that camera is supported by Nauticam any longer. The product cycle for higher end housings is very short. Buying a camera today with the intention of getting a housing for it three years hence, sketchy, you might be stuck with an Ikelite bread box with coat hanger controls with rubber stoppers on the ends that fall off.

Back
Top Bottom