Housing maintenance for almost-newbies - please help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wobbegong_Thai

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all...

I just got my Ikelite Housing for Olympus C-7070, Ikelite DS-125 on Sync cord for it..

Now, I don't have the documents that should come with the housing, it was an ex-demo.

So, please give some suggestion on throughly maintenance of Ikelite housing...

Don't want to wreck it like my old Housing for Canon AE-1 (film camera)
which I left neglect until many of the control freezed up..

Should I remove all the components, knobs, buttons, out to clean? how often?

Also, can the handle on the ikelite tray be removed? (for packing purpose)

what's special precaution should I take?

thanks for your experiences

I operate all controls under a slow stream of running freshwater after each dive.

I regrease the o-ring every time.

I pray

I was diving in Tulamben last week and there was a lot of fine sand. As Jim said, re-greasing the O-ring every time is important, and I was doing it 4 times a day. I send the housing back for maintenance once a year.

I meant the main o-ring only.
As Dennis said a yearly service will best address the control seals.

It depends on the housing and how the o-ring is used. In an Ike housing, you never need to grease the back o-ring, as stated on the Ikelite website. It just makes it pickup more trash. Since the o-ring is in straight compression, lubrication really doesn't perform any purpose. Remember, grease doesnot improve sealing. I now just rinse mine under running water to remove an grit or hairs, shake it, and install. And yes, you can remove the tray. Just remove the screws and don't loose them. I wouldn't remove any controls. It you start having problems, send it to Ike for a cleaning and test. They will replace any bad control glands and pressure test for a reasonable fee.

After a dive vacation, I'll throw a couple of soft weights in my housing, fill a tub and let it soak for a few hours. I'll work all the knobs and buttons thoroughly, then rinse under a stream of fresh water, again, working all the knobs and buttons.

I wouldn't start taking buttons apart, send it back to Ike every year or so for that type of maintenance.

thanks for all your recommendation...

Send back to Ike... that's really good advice.. only that I live in Bangkok, Thailand..
Shipping cost a lot... may be I'll send in every couple of years..

I still got an old housing for Canon AE-1, with several control stucked, some gear broken...

May be I'll send this old one to Ike... get it fixed, and have fun with film sometimes...

Bandit, you never use lubricant on your housing o-ring? You're kidding, right?
The very few times I tried to reseal the Ike housing using the previous lubing, I noticed a real difference in the "wetness" of the seal. As a result, I relube EVERY time. I now use Crystal Lube exclusively. It is quite expensive (35.00 with shipping for a small tube) but superior quality.
Not to lube will allow the o-ring to harden as it ages, eventually leading to less resilience in the "press fit".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom