Housing for older camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmbawden

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an old minolta 370 film camera that I use topside and it takes the best pictures. Is there a housing I can get for it? I have never used anything other than someone elses camera. Would like to use it underwater if possible.

e-Bay is the place to look.

Not a very popular camera, so for u/w you might have a tough time.

You may save money in the long run, buying some other older, used camera that was widely purchased and used by millions. The housings are much easier to find.

If you are into film, look at Canon AE1 housings, cameras.

As a matter of history, it is often better to find a used housing on eBay and then go obtain the camera. It makes it a lot easier to go in reverse that way.

I looked on eBay and Googled it, but found no housings for your camera. I did find this while searching, though.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

mmbawden:
I have an old minolta 370 film camera that I use topside and it takes the best pictures. Is there a housing I can get for it? I have never used anything other than someone elses camera. Would like to use it underwater if possible.
I have an old Ikelite SLR housing that I've used with several old SLR cameras (Fuji, Minolta, Konica, Pentax). Sometimes you might have to slightly bend some of the control rods to meet up with some camera controls, but they are pretty much interchangeable. There are used ones all over ebay.

Ikelite may be able to make a custom housing. if you camera does not have a motor drive you will need one to use it in a housing.

swankenstein:
None of my SLRs ever had motor drives and I used them (and still do) in the Ikelite housing without a problem.

Then you cameras must have a built in film advance system. Based on a post referring to the Canon AE-1 which does not have a drive system therefore must be manually advanced, to use it in most if not all housings, a motor drive must be installed. The Ikelite "MD" housing were designed for this purpose. Not being familiar with Minolta cameras I suspected the AE-1 comment meant that the minolta in question may be a manual advance type.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom