Housing for Nikon Coolpix 4600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ciret

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ikelite, Nikon and Fantasea all make housings. price ranges from ~$135-$285.

Is the more expensive Ikelite or Nikon housing worth it? Or will the Fantasea adequate?

I have a Nikon housing on my 5600 which I used with a Sealife digital strobe. It is now relegated to a backup camera. If you get serious about photography, you'll outgrow that camera really fast as the flash takes forever to recycle. I would try the Nikon housing.

I have been using a 4600 with a Nikon housing that I got off ebay for about $150. "Forever" is about 6-7 seconds for my "relatively" fast moving camera:D . I am quite happy with this setup and have some good UW shots with just camera and housing, no external lighting add ons.

It looks like the Fantasea housing is missing some controls compared to the Nikon? I would buy the Nikon housing again with no hesitation.

Cool, I really didn't look at the features of the different housings. Controls could be important underwater :D

At this point I don't really think I will get 'real' serious, just a snapshot guy:14:

I see the Fantasea website listing 6 controls on the 4600/5600 housing vs 13 on the Nikon housing. Looks like the more important functions missing on the Fantasea are mode dial selector, ON/OFF (battery saver), macro on/off, and flash selection. These are all features I want to have available underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom