Housing for Canon S50, other than canon bubble

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Digideep.com say no.

iainwilliams once bubbled...
Hi

I have a Canon S50 and use the Canon bubble shell housing. This housing is depth limited to 30 m.

Does anyone know of a GOOD housing for this camera depth rated over 30M?

Thanks.....Iain

1. I've just got the S50 and the Canon housing. Haven't had a chance to use it yet. What's wrong with it? - apart from 100ft rating. Is there something I should know?

2. It was the only housing I could find - Ikelite have no plans to release a housing, although they do a number of other Canon housings...

Hello Noodlefish

NO there is nothing wrong with the bubble housing (other than the 30 m limit). A lot of my dives are plus 30 m.

I find it works very well for a cheapish housing. The housing fogs up very quickly as the camera warms up. I suggest you use 2 small silica gel packets to suck up the moisture within the case after closing.

Ikelite are thinking of releasing another housing in late 2003 rated to 45 m. The cost is plus $500.00 USD.

Also go to www.canon.co.jp and read the section on underwater photography. The article refers speciically to the bubble and the S series cameras - some very good reading. If you have a hassle finding the artical, e-mail me and I'll send it to you. My mail is idwilliams@optusnet.com.au.

See ya..............Iain

Thanks Iain. I've already printed out the Canon stuff. And I'll be sure to put two silica gel baggies in the housing...

We figured that without a decent camera and strobe, anything below about 20m was going to be tricky to capture on the S50 anyway, so didn't really worry about the rating. But it had me thinking about last year, when we were diving in Sulawesi - the Pigmy Seahorses were all at around 30-36m, so wouldn't have been able to get them...

A friend has the Canon housing and has taken it to 40m with no apparent ill effects... not sure I'd want to risk it though!

I have a Canon A40 with the Canon housing. I've taken it to 130 feet over 15 times, shot pics of wrecks, fish, the like with only the internal flash, and have yet to have any frustrations. Hope this gives you some piece of mind....

Hello Noodlefish - Yes I understand your frustration. 30 m is just not deep enough! I was in the Solomon Islands last month and dived an absolutely awsome Japanese float plane in 35 m of water that I would have loved to take an image of!

KidK9 has stated that he has done 35 m on the housing without a hassle - this is comforting.

I also have just been informed that the housing is rated at half the pressure it can go to before leaking or collapsing. Apparently what happens is that the springs under the buttons become depressed due to excess pressure making the camera inoperable.

I have been hunting around and the only other housing I have found for the S50 series of cameras is from UK in Germany. This housing is made of aluminium and is rated to 80 m. But, at $2000.00 AUD it is very expensive ........Thanks. Iain :) :wacko:

This was my first effort at underwater photography but the pictures below were taken with the internal flash at about 75' on the wreck of the Rhone (BVI) last week.

I did not expect much from the internal flash but the results were really suprising (by my limited standards).

3376836%3B23232%7Ffp8%3Enu%3D3238%3E3%3C9%3E446%3Ewsnrcg%3D323248%3A6%3C9583nu0mrj

3376836%3B23232%7Ffp8%3Enu%3D3238%3E3%3C9%3E446%3Ewsnrcg%3D323248%3A6%3C9597nu0mrj

Actually I'm not sure the first one was with the flash but definitely the second one.

I'm planning on taking my Canon S45 underwater for the first time soon. What settings are people using? I tried some stuff in my pool and the results weren't that great until I just set it on P mode and let the camera make the decisions for me. Any suggestions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom