Housing and strobe combinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pirate ....once you get the strobe and housing let us know, and several of us (ReyeR for one) can help you with the setup .... Its a great strobe...and good luck with it !!!

Thanks. Its all being ordered today. I should have it in a week or so. My big issue now is what size flash cards to buy. I've purchased two of the 256 mb x-d cards. One I already have with another on the way. I've purchased one Scandisk Ultra 512 CF card and will probably purchase one more 512 mb CF card (probably a Ridata). But I'm wondering if I should go with some different size options, like several 256 mb cards instead of all 512's?

Well, it appears that Ikelite is backordering everything I need for several weeks. It looks now like I won't have the housing and strobe until the end of March. :(

I too went thru that decision...I have an OLY 3040 and decided on an Ikelite even though most of my diving is above 100 feet. I just wanted the option of going deeper! I am also in a quandry about a strobe...the camera does SUPER with just the internal flash though. I am very happy with the Ikelite! Now Im looking for lenses that attach to it if they make such a thing!

I could use some help with the strobe issue also! I think the Iklelite accommodates a Sea and Sea of some sort, but Im not sure. Anyone?

I need an effortless easy strobe as I am a newbie to underwater pictures. What falls in that category and where can I get it?

Finesse- thanks for the reassurance on the weight of the Ikelite setup. I was a bit worry after receiving the package as the whole thing is rather heavy. The volume of displacement of Ikelite housing is not that much greater than the Olympus PT10 housing that was why I was a bit concerned. Anyhow, I will definitely try out the set up in a pool before I will go on my trip next month.

Pirate- it usually will take Ikelite at least 2 weeks to get a DS125 out as they don't keep it in stock. They keep very few parts in stock and only assemble them when they get an order. You might not have to wait until the end of March though. I got both housing and strobe a couple of weeks ago after waiting for about 3 weeks after ordering.
Did you order the standard package for the strobe or the deluxe arm/smart charger combo. I think it is about $100 more but well worth it. You can charge a lot faster and the ball/socket arm will let you aim the light easier without having to readjust the TTL sensor as well.

Pirate,
I have a 128 xD card and a 512CF card. Instead of buying more cards I decided to buy an Archos 20GB Multimedia portable digital storage device. I shoot on the xD card, transfer to the CF card and then to the Archos. It's working out great. I did alot of research on the various portable devices and this one came up the winner. TedJ
PS It also stores MP3 files and MPGs.

ssra......You're really going to love the new system you have ..... As I'm sure your aware a little negative is better than positive with handling the camera ...... pulling down on a positive camera is no fun (in my eyes)… easier to control a negative one....but that may just be me :wink: ). Also remember that I'm using a WAL a lot and that adds another pound to the rig ..... when that comes off its changes the feel of the camera again....

Pirate .... I like ssra suggestion on the strobe package ... I have that package ...... the straight arms in the basic package don’t give you the freedom of movement as well as do the ball arms. And the charger is lightning quick ....Like 15-30 minutes after a couple of dives (depending on how much the strobe / light was used that number can go higher)

Okiediver....... You’re thinking of the Sea & Sea YS90DX....which I cant speak to ...but many others here have and use with great success. The only thing with that strobe (S&S users tell me if this is true) is that you have to manually adjust the strobes power setting to get the proper exposure .... in other words it has NO quenching abilities(ability to turn off the strobe once enough power has reached the subject). The strobe that we are discussing above, the Ikelite DS-125, has a sensor (TTL) that will meter the shot and give you the proper exposure, hence its more "automatic". The strobe has the ability to also be used in manual (like the S&S YS90DS) but has only a few power ranges. That being said Ikelite now has a manual controller to give you 10 power steps (I think that many) therefore more range of exposure....There are several using this strobe with only the TTL sensor and getting great results.

The S&S is several hundred $$ less than the Ikelite system with the better arm set and quick charger. The Ikelite has a nicad battery pack ( about 150 shots) and a recycle time of 1 second. The S&S uses 4-AA batteries and a recycle time of 3-4 seconds..(However the cameras flash also needs to recycle to make the strobe fire .... so your dependant on how fast the cameras strobes regenerates). The Ikelite may be a tad more powerful (which is useful for wide angle stuff) but most use the strobe up close (macro work) so that really isn’t a concern. The Ikelite also comes with a built in modeling light which is pretty neat .... but again many have jury rigged there cameras to accommodate an add on flashlight to produce a similar situation.

Hope all that made sense!!! I wish I had known everyone was looking for this Ikelite housing though .....as I may have one, #6130.1 (3040,4040) , going up for sale !!!! Oh well

Finesse once bubbled...
....Okiediver....... You’re thinking of the Sea & Sea YS90DX....which I cant speak to ...but many others here have and use with great success. The only thing with that strobe (S&S users tell me if this is true) is that you have to manually adjust the strobes power setting to get the proper exposure .... in other words it has NO quenching abilities(ability to turn off the strobe once enough power has reached the subject). The strobe that we are discussing above, the Ikelite DS-125, has a sensor (TTL) that will meter the shot and give you the proper exposure, hence its more "automatic". The strobe has the ability to also be used in manual (like the S&S YS90DS) but has only a few power ranges. That being said Ikelite now has a manual controller to give you 10 power steps (I think that many) therefore more range of exposure....There are several using this strobe with only the TTL sensor and getting great results.

I agree with all Finesse has said but we have different views about the strobes. I use the S&S YS90DX and prefer the manual adjustments. I've never cared for TTL because I like to be in control of the photographic results, not some predetermined setting within the camera. It is especially easy to use the manual strength settings with a digital camera because you see what you get and you can quickly change it and take another. I have found I change setting according to depth/available light. I'll change it about every 15-20 ft. So unless I'm zig-zagging up and down the reef or wall, the settings stay pretty much the same.

I also prefer using 4AA rechargeable batteries to a battery pak. If all else fails, I can buy AA batteries anywhere in the world...I may not be able to replace the battery pak.

Back
Top Bottom