Housing and strobe combinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Pirate

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide which housing and which strobe to purchase for my new 5050 and I have a couple of questions that I hope you kind folks can help me with.
1. Can I use any strobe with the Ikelite housing or am I limited to Ikelite strobes? I'm leaning toward the Ikelite housing over the pt-015 because most of my diving is below 150'.
2. Does anyone have any experience with the Ikelite housing for the 5050 and if so is there anyting I should know about them that might make my decision easier?
Thanks.

The Pirate once bubbled...
I'm trying to decide which housing and which strobe to purchase for my new 5050 and I have a couple of questions that I hope you kind folks can help me with.
1. Can I use any strobe with the Ikelite housing or am I limited to Ikelite strobes? I'm leaning toward the Ikelite housing over the pt-015 because most of my diving is below 150'.
2. Does anyone have any experience with the Ikelite housing for the 5050 and if so is there anyting I should know about them that might make my decision easier?
Thanks.

1. I know you can use the Sea & Sea strobes with the Ikelite. A lot of folks are using the S&S YS90DX/Ikelite combo with great success.
2. I'm not sure the Ikelite housing is out yet, or it's so new not many have had it underwater yet. But knowing Ike, it'll be a good one. If you absolutely have to have the extra depth, Ike is the way to go.

Sorry had to do that :D

I have the Ikelite housing for the 20xx, 30xx 40xx Olympus cameras......LOVE IT......

Its very well built, straight forward and simple ....
As the rig stands now..... It's basically neutral/slightly negative underwater (housing, camera, and strobe)
The 5050 housing is based off of it .... just a little wider (I think 1/2" ) and the same increase in height.....

Its got a bulkhead for a sync cord ( so many different strobes will work)....some neat button functions to free up your hands ....... Single O-ring........

Well I'm biased ...... so I think you get the idea......

Finesse once bubbled...

As the rig stands now..... It's basically neutral/slightly negative underwater (housing, camera, and strobe [/B]

Hmm, I have to disagree a bit here. I just upgrade my PT10 to Ikelite for my 4040Z and the housing with handle/tray alone felt like it is easily twice the weight of the PT10 with the weight and camera inside it, if not more. Throwing in my new D125 substrobe
made me wonder how easy it is going to dive with the camera in comparison with just my oly with PT10 and no strobe. Can't wait to try it out on my trip early next month though.

I have to agree though that Ike housing is very well made and basically I found the 90ft depth (theoretically) on PT10 a bit too limited.

Finesse once bubbled...
I have the Ikelite housing for the 20xx, 30xx 40xx Olympus cameras......LOVE IT......
As the rig stands now..... It's basically neutral/slightly negative underwater (housing, camera, and strobe)
The 5050 housing is based off of it .... just a little wider (I think 1/2" ) and the same increase in height.....
Its got a bulkhead for a sync cord ( so many different strobes will work)....some neat button functions to free up your hands ....... Single O-ring........
Well I'm biased ...... so I think you get the idea......
Thanks for the info. If I go with the Ikelite housing, which is looking more likely; which tray and arm set-up seems to work best? And do you recommend one or two arms? Thanks.

I haven't gone digital yet, but can comment on a couple of things. First, if you may want to go with two strobes at some point (some like it), then get a tray with the ability to use two arms. If not, don't worry about it.

The other thought I have is that if you already have the strobe, be sure Ikelite knows which connector it takes, and has that one on the housing, or that there is a good adaptor for it.

SeaRat

Okay, I just looked at the Ikelite catelog on-line, and if you are talking about dual handles, not duel arms, I'd get the one with two handles. It will make it much more convenient to carry and handle both in and out of the water. It will also give you more stability for slower shutter speeds while taking photos in the water.

SeaRat

You're right. It is two handles, not arms. Thanks for the info. Now I just have to decide whether to go with the TTL Sync Chord, TTL Sensor or the Manual Controller. Too many decisions with this stuff for someone new to u/w photography.

ssra30 once bubbled...

Hmm, I have to disagree a bit here. I just upgrade my PT10 to Ikelite for my 4040Z and the housing with handle/tray alone felt like it is easily twice the weight of the PT10 with the weight and camera inside it, if not more. Throwing in my new D125 substrobe
made me wonder how easy it is going to dive with the camera in comparison with just my oly with PT10 and no strobe. Can't wait to try it out on my trip early next month though.

I have to agree though that Ike housing is very well made and basically I found the 90ft depth (theoretically) on PT10 a bit too limited.

You will find quite a difference U/W....

You cannot compare the weights on land...I too was skeptical of the weight but knew things would change U/W. The best way to explain it is to think of a coin and a steel hull of a ship (well this is a gross exaggeration :eek: ) you can easily pick up the coin... a ship I don’t think so ..... but the coin sinks (a few grams) and the ship floats (thousands of tons)......Its a matter of displacement. Think of and AL 80 with compressed air in it, filled its negative, as you consume the air it becomes positive .... yet the tank approaches 40 lbs on land. Density of the material used will also play a part in weight/buoyancy. The housing, If I recall, even though its weight is about 6-7 pounds will float like a cork by itself . This to the point I though I would need to add counter weights :( to the housing to give it the slight negative buoyancy you need ( the strobe and camera fixed that). The cavity which the camera sits in creates displacement and gives it some buoyancy. I'm certain the Ike housing is heavier as there is much more material to the housing... That being said I have no idea what and Olympus housing "feels" like underwater.

Personally with a DS-125 strobe, camera, housing and a WAL (that’s about 1lb of nothing but solid glass and would sink like a rock), I can easily hold the setup U/W with one hand (on the housing , not the tray handle) and snap the shutter. Can I do that on land ....Yes.... It's not very comfortable or too smart however.

Pirate .....the tray I have is just the single handle that comes with the standard housing setup.....the other tray (dual handle) is an extra $75 ....if I ever go with #2 strobe. When I'm taking pics I have my right hand holding the housing and finger on the shutter release ... so at this point I didn’t want the other handle. Yes its another place to grab/hold onto but I have personally never had any issues with receiving or handing the camera to someone on the boat. The arms I did upgrade to the one that adjusts via ball joints thus facilitating ease of strobe placement U/W (don’t have to fight with clamps too tight or too loose)

Question for you ....what strobe are you looking at ??? The sync cord, I believe, requires manual modes on the camera ....Where as the TTL you use in program mode or manual....If you're brand new to this stuff I would go with the TTL (IKELITE) or the fiber optic cords like on the Sea & Sea strobes.....makes taking the picture a little easier

Finesse once bubbled...
Question for you ....what strobe are you looking at ??? The sync cord, I believe, requires manual modes on the camera ....Where as the TTL you use in program mode or manual....If you're brand new to this stuff I would go with the TTL (IKELITE) or the fiber optic cords like on the Sea & Sea strobes.....makes taking the picture a little easier

I've decided to purchase the DS-125 with the TTL Sensor. I've spent way too much time researching which set-up to purchase, but I think I have a pretty good understanding of the pros and cons of the options. Thanks for all the good info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom