hotx

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Since there is no definitive word on whether it is or it isn't...

We regard, for our purposes, O2 to be as narcotic as nitrogen... and subjectively it *feels* that it is so.

You're happy to get in the water.:wink:

Bill Hamilton thinks that O2 should be considered in END calculations.

So this means we're looking at not exceeding an END of 4 or 5 ATA (pp O2 + N2) depending if 100 or 130 feet is your pleasure.

Roak

Jarhead once bubbled...
You're happy to get in the water.:wink:
And I have out of state scuba board visitors to take diving!!!

Heath and his wife will be here this week and Metridium will be here next week.

:)

Make sure you show 'em the octopus!

I'm jealous....

detroit diver once bubbled...
I'm jealous....
...don't you have some business out here... surely a man of your resourcefulness could come up with an excuse :D

Speaking of octopus... Shane an I spotted a medium sized one at Hat Island Saturday. The visibility was also fairly good as well. We had some visitors along from Scuba Board... not diving yet... just learning how to run the boat... so we were able to cover a lot of ground. But I though about you as it would have been another good day for flying the anchor. :D

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
I missed your post to me in this thread a page back.

There is controversy about the narcotic effects of oxygen. While its lipid solubility would suggest that it has greater narcotic potential than nitrogen that is not necessarily the case.

Since there is no definitive word on whether it is or it isn't...

We regard, for our purposes, O2 to be as narcotic as nitrogen... and subjectively it *feels* that it is so.

PUG - thanks for your responce

It ould seem if that was actualy the case then high PO2 would have a very narcotic effect, or are you saying that the good feeling you get after a nitrox dive may not be from the reduced N2 but actualy from the high PO2.

if that was true then having a high end wouldn't be a problem, however you do get just as narced with an end of say 180 feet wheather you have 9% O2 or 21% O2.

just throwing out some thoughts here, and looking for more info from you. I find this theory interesting.

final thought - to stay on topic, if you where using HOTx then you are not adjuting the O2 vs EANx you are realy just redusing the N2 by replacing it whith He. I am thinking of the example above of a 30/30 mix

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom