Hotel recommendations / restaurants in Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Key West area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandiegoaes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi all:

My wife and I are taking a trip to Key West out. Flying into Miami, then takin a leisurely drive from there. Possibly hopping on an airplane and going to Cuba for a night as well (if that is an option).

I plan to fly into Miami / Ft Lauderdale, stay a night then head to the keys.

Looking for hotel recommendations and anything else people in the area might know of. Basically a nice hotel, near the beach (not necessarily on it) in Ft Lauderdale or Miami. Unique / quirky hotels preferred over the big chains.

A nicer hotel in Key West would be good. Somewhere walking distance to all the main attractions. We are not huge drinkers / partiers but would prefer a hotel close to the action so we can walk home after a few drinks.

Any recommendations on good, slightly upscale (not pretentious) restaurants are welcome too. No bar food but just good meals / cant’ miss spots. Also, any side trips, attractions, etc.. would be welcome suggestions.

We plan to go snorkeling. Possibly a discover scuba dive. (I am certified, she is not). Unfortunately, the Wilkes Barre wreck is not in the cards for me on this trip!

Any recommendations would be welcome!

My favorite restaurant when I lived in Lauderdale by the sea was Eduardo de San Angel: Welcome | Eduardo de San Angel They were a great little restaurant but might be a bit upscale for your tastes. My wife loves to visit Anthony Coal Fired Pizza every time we hit South Florida. They're more of a chain restaurant than a locally owned location.

I can't give any recommendations on hotels as i've been out of south florida for too long. Good luck and have fun!

just a note to advise you that key west is a four hour drive south from ft. lauderdale.,,

Ocean Key Resort and Spa, Key West, Located at the very beginning of Duval St. Expensive but very nice

Villa Brizo in Miami gets full fast.

Sunset Key Cottages in Key West would work perfectly for you too.

Last edited:
Stay in Sobe! And eat at Puerto Sagua on 700 Collins Ave! You won't be disappointed. Cheap and awesome food!

Thanks all! Good suggestions!

When passing through Key Largo, The Fish House is worth stopping at for a meal.

On Islamorada, I like Marker 88 restaurant. It is definately tourist type place, but if you sit outside and watch the sunset, it's near magical.... especially if you sit on the glider/swings near the water.

If you're passing through Marathon at meal time, Lazy Days South is great. Dinner is a really nice time to dine there, as the sun sets.

In Key West, there are a ton of casual type restaurants on and just off of Duvall Street. Most have decent fish dishes.... just walk around and look for one that looks interesting.

Make sure you watch the sunset in Mallory Square one night. The street performers are awesome.

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom