Info HotDive just got into rebreathers!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Base rate.

Most items made in China for foreign markets must compete on price after tariffs and shipping overhead. Cheap price is the value proposition. Chinese companies can put only so much oversight and quality assurance before goods become expensive. Would you buy a $10K CCR from PRC if you could get good US or European made alternatives with good US support?

If there was a new German 'breather, I'd say "ok, I might try." But I'll pass on a life support system created in a country where human life is the cheapest thing.
I wouldn't touch a German rb unless it was new with warranty or a low mile cpo🤣🤣

Ah, a poorly executed Meg/JJ/XCCR clone, I see...

"With a simpler structure and hose routing, #HOTDIVE and Deep Water System jointly developed the new M-CCR.
Next up is the chest mount and side mount, so stay tuned!"

Let's face it - they're going to compete on price.
And lose when competing on "deaths per unit"

Poseidon has straps

If there was a new German 'breather, I'd say "ok, I might try."

Yeah this beathes good

The Chinese make great stuff, at least they're still making stuff
I think maybe they're getting some back on the lazy thieving western supplier taking all the cream

See look

Lot of people buying USUN before DRIS got onto it

Magnificent stuff!

How do you know it's poorly executed? They can make decent stuff in the PRC. It just takes a company willing and able to put in the necessary oversight.
I completely missed this post..

It’s an extrapolation, and not about the PRC in general nor a matter of quality only.
Here is my (guessing) logic:
- Scubagaskets just announced their regulators last month, Here, tracing it back to Narwal and Hotdive. (That’s how I got to know about HotDive)
- the SG reg kit is at 500, the Hotdive version is at 260
- (assumption) the price and the size of the batch (dictated by demand) a „western“ company will negotiate with the manufacturer is the defining factor in QC efforts spent and how good the tolerances would be

Adding a perception bias on my part that Chinese copies tend to be of lower quality (varying ranges, ot doesn’t mean it’s dog💩, just not as good)

From here I would assume they are competing on price, or with the goal to OEM for „western brands“ later on when they have a more „stable“ product 🤷🏽‍♀️

Maybe they even settle for supplying rb components and accessories

I actually am interested in the outcome —with product maturity — it could be a great thing for all of us and open up mew possibilities just like what happened in the reg business the last 5-10 years

I might try their regulator first, before anything more complex

Brave new world indeed

Most of your scuba gear is already sourced from China, just because it's a OEM rebreather does not automatically mean it's bad.
If it goes for 3-4k it's a interesting proposition, and if it's a mCCR it could be easy to upgrade with "safer" parts for cheap.
Btw, straps are awesome, I want to change out my fiddly shadow mounts for straps.

That said if you want to go rebreather diving on the cheap there are dozens of ready to dive Inspirations on the market for 2k or less.

Most of your scuba gear is already sourced from China, just because it's a OEM rebreather does not automatically mean it's bad.
If it goes for 3-4k it's a interesting proposition, and if it's a mCCR it could be easy to upgrade with "safer" parts for cheap.
Couldn’t have put it in better words, just being the first (that I know of) tells me that it’ll be a wild ride till things stable out; again waiting here with the popcorn on the incident reports and that 3k upgradable rebreather

I'm not sure I would recommend anyone buy a new rebreather that doesn't come with an endorsement by top level agencies and a professionally integrated Petrel 3 (with vibration alerts), but maybe I read too many accident reports.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom