hot tubs and diving (liveaboard question)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you considered a wetsuit with a front zipper?
My gripe with the exposure suit is with the shoulder I'm not great at reaching back and I truly hate coming off as a semi invalid that needs help getting dressed:dork2:. I will be traveling solo so..., Yeah, I just need to get over it. I have a couple wet shirts and even have a 3 mil. Course I have never used the 3 mil :)

Hello Readers :

Hot Tubs Movie Script

Is it possible for a problem to arise? If asked, I could write this for a book or a movie script. Let us say for purposes of the plot, it is desired that a character have a terrible mishap following a scuba dive. This is not at all far fetched.

The diver undertakes several dives wherein the nitrogen gas loading is large. I must add that the diver is somewhat on the heavy side, that is, carrying considerable abdominal fat. This is loaded with nitrogen because of the nitrogen solubility in adipose [fat] tissue.

The diver goes into a hot tub following the dives and stays, let us say, for a half hour. The diver then exits the tub by pulling himself up while at the same time, holds his breath [as people often do when exerting themselves] and then releases it. This is essentially a Valsalva maneuver. Copious gas bubbles from the belly fat pass through the PFO and flow to the brain. The bad news is that he is experiencing a bubble load situation with a volume of several cubic centimeters. The bubbles initially pass through the brain capillaries, but the volume is too much. Soon, the vessels become occluded.

The diver slumps over, and expires, and a mystery is afoot.
:shakehead:

Dr Deco
:doctor:
I like it. I'm showing it to my people now. We see it as feature film with a budget of $150- to $200-million. I think we can get financing here in Hong Kong. Shooting, of course, will be on location in the Galapagos, Western Australia, and some spots in Indonesia I still haven't made it to. I will play the unfortunate fat bastard who can't get out of a hot tub without doing a Valsalva maneuver (I'll bulk up for the role, a la DeNiro in Raging Bull). The role of my hot tub companion is up for grabs. Jessica Alba is within budget, or perhaps relative newcomer Dianna Agron. We'll just have to see who can simulate mouth-to-mouth resuscitation more convincingly. I'll have my agent call you regarding an associate producer's credit and 1/16 of a percent of the foreign video take, with residuals. :D

That would be a good solution. I have not seen one. I received a henderson hyper stretch for christmas ut of course it is a rear zip. I'll look around for something with front zip that has great stretch characteristics. Any suggestions? Oh, and Vladimar? get Meagan Fox and I'm in. Even Jessica Alba, but I want to be the stunt double that the girls practice the mouth to mouth, wait, dang. I got married a few yrs ago and I guess I will pass. Good idea though.

Last edited:
The role of my hot tub companion is up for grabs. Jessica Alba is within budget, or perhaps relative newcomer Dianna Agron. We'll just have to see who can simulate mouth-to-mouth resuscitation more convincingly.

I think Jessica Alba has it nailed. Did you see Into the Blue, in which she took breaths off of a scuba regulator and then transferred that air to trapped breath hold divers? She has the experience you need--and, yes, she did her own scuba stunts in that movie.

"That would be a good solution. I have not seen one. I received a henderson hyper stretch for christmas ut of course it is a rear zip. I'll look around for something with front zip that has great stretch characteristics. Any suggestions?"

Get a custom made or try Wetsuit Repair and have them remove the rear zipper, install patch and front zipper. Might want to add arm and leg zips

I used to dive less-than-conservative profiles when I was undertaking deep dives for a filming project. I avoided hot tubs and even hot showers after diving such profiles. I felt it best not to assume any potential additional risk. Besides, we here on the island need to conserve fresh water so I usually waited until I had a buddy to share the shower with (tee hee).

I have considered getting a custom wetsuit but - ok, a little personal here, probably tmi, but I need to lose some weight. I'm down 15 lbs but want to lose twice that. Which of course screws up the custom suit. Aarrrgh, there, I said it. :bash:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom