Hot Tubbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear Bradford and Readers:

Hot tubs and hot showers

I think the jury is still out on this one. I would certainly wait a couple of hours post dive before getting the skin too hot. :struck:

The results could be argued either way and there are not any studies to date.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Thanks Doc,

I think I'll stay on the safe side of this debate and avoid the hot water in more than one way.

Anyways, if we're only talking about a couple hours, thats no problem.

Seeing as how the boat ride back to shore is gonna be over an hour, and then another 2 and a half hours to the house, I should be good by the evening.

Brad

Dear Bradford and Readers:

Hot tubs and hot showers

I think the jury is still out on this one. I would certainly wait a couple of hours post dive before getting the skin too hot. :struck:

The results could be argued either way and there are not any studies to date.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Might the jury be in yet? I really love my hot soak after a dive.

Regards,
Cameron

Thanks Doc,

I think I'll stay on the safe side of this debate and avoid the hot water in more than one way.

Anyways, if we're only talking about a couple hours, thats no problem.

Seeing as how the boat ride back to shore is gonna be over an hour, and then another 2 and a half hours to the house, I should be good by the evening.

Brad

Yup

Ok, so what about getting up early and enjoying the hot tub BEFORE the dive? If it is doing a good job of getting regular nitrogen out, could it lower your chance of getting the bends on a dive subsequent to hot tubbing? This assumes you drink enough so you are not dehydrated.

Ok, so what about getting up early and enjoying the hot tub BEFORE the dive? If it is doing a good job of getting regular nitrogen out, could it lower your chance of getting the bends on a dive subsequent to hot tubbing? This assumes you drink enough so you are not dehydrated.

Or, as somebody else mentioned, by the time the boat gets back to the dock, and I get lunch, 2 or 3 hrs have passed, and I'd feel safe going into the hot tub unless I had been really pushing the NDLs for a few days.

The temperature is accelerating (retarding) a difference in the partial pressure of nitrogen in your body and in the air. Since they are equal prior to the dive there should be no effect. You cannot get your N loading below that of the ambient air. I guess if you breathed nitrox while in your hot tub you could get it lower than ambient. :)

The temperature is accelerating (retarding) a difference in the partial pressure of nitrogen in your body and in the air. Since they are equal prior to the dive there should be no effect. You cannot get your N loading below that of the ambient air. I guess if you breathed nitrox while in your hot tub you could get it lower than ambient. :)
If you ever pass by a hot tub early morning and some woman is huffing Nitrox while sitting it it, that might just be me. :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom