Hostile hammerhead...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's more interesting than I expected. It not only came in a time or two, but whizzed around the area fast, coming in a number of times despite being repeatedly struck, in an obviously excited state.

Richard.

I'm calling bull$hit.

I think he chummed the water and when he saw sharks he paddled a little bit to get video away from the chum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm calling bull$hit.

I think he chummed the water and when he saw sharks he paddled a little bit to get video away from the chum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting idea. The thing that is strange is that this was way further north than the range of that hammerhead. El Nino I guess. But when you see how agitated it is, chumming does make some sense.

Hi Keith,

Three weeks ago, a similar incident happened off Malibu and La Jolla before that.

Shark Attacks Kayaker Off California Beach Video - ABC News

Yeah, El Nino does bring in hammerheads plus dolphinfish, yellow fin tuna, blue marlin, and sometimes a wahoo. Good eats man!!!

Hey, when do you want me to drop off your stuff?

markm

I showed this video to a buddy; he watched it, noticed the line being taunt and indicated he believed the guy had a fish on the line. A fish thrashing around in the water by the kayak could excite the shark.

Richard.

Nobody has mentioned the fishing rod and line in the water off the kayak, which is probably what attracted the Hammer. I've dived with a school of them with KoroSun Sun Dive in Fiji, and never saw aggressive behavior. I think there was maybe a fish on the line, and it probably didn't help when the kayaker started slapping the surface with his paddle.

Holy overreaction batman, lines pretty tight

Back
Top Bottom