Hoseless computers: are they necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pops:
After loosing my Vyper at Shark's Cove, I now dive without one. All my dives are travel-related open water and hosted by a divemaster anyway - who has a computer - and I don't keep a log. Love the scenery and marine life but not totally passionate about it like many are, although I keep tables and always plan the dive for practice. . Divemasters are waay conservative with their customers. The only hard lesson I've learned is to ALWAYS bring my own regulator - I can rent good equipment anywhere but rental regulators are just such crap.

Pops, that is damn dangerous! Always have your own computer, and if not, follow your tables for real not practice. There are DM's out there who will take you to the max of your limits, but they might be well within their own comp's limits. Every DM is an individual, and that is a variable that you can only control by planning your own dive and diving your own computer.

I've seen it. Not all DM's are like the ones with which you have dove, and the only time you'll know that is when they push whatever limits your plan has established. Not all DM's want to get you out of the water quickly.

You are correct. Always bring your own reg. I bring two. I've used the backup once, and wish I had it once.

it may sound harsh but....You may not be passionate about the marine life and environment, but get passionate about your life. It is what is ultimately at stake.

Colin Berry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom